"The Algerian "Hauts-Plateaux"" Wilaya de Djelfa by JLBG
Wilaya de Djelfa Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 49 photos
When you drive from Algiers to Tamanrasset, you encounter three zones.
First, the Tell, a narrow strip of plains 100-200 km wide, stretching along the Mediterranean coast from the Moroccan border to the Tunisian border. This is the wealthiest part of Algeria.
Second the Hauts plateaux, a wider strip that stretches again from one border to the other.
And third the "Grand Sud algérien" –the Sahara- that covers 80-85% of the country.
The Hauts plateaux is a poor land, 1000-1100 meters mean elevation, with poor soil, where agriculture is almost impossible and where the people earn most of their poor living on cattle growing with flocks of sheeps, goats, donkeys and camels that graze the scarce grass. In winter, it is cold and windy. In summer it is hot, dry and windy. In spring (when we have always visited), it is often raining and windy.
The Hauts plateaux extend on 14 willayas : Tebessa, Oum el Bouaghi, Batna, Khenchela, Setif, Bordj Bou Arreridj, El Bayadh, Naama, Tiaret, Tissemsilt, Saida, Msila, Djelfa, Laghouat.
I have built this page is under Wilaya de Djelfa because the only part of the Hauts Plateaux that I know is along the road from Algiers to Tamanrasset and more precisely from Ksar El Boukhari to Laghouat, around Djelfa.
Cistanche tubulosa is a close relative to the previous plant. It is not so beautiful but edible and is called "Tuaregs'... more travel advice
We stayed may be half an hour but we had to drive back to Algiers to take the ferry and go back home! We could not stay... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Wilaya de Djelfa Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wilaya de Djelfa
- 17 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Wilaya de Djelfa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wilaya de Djelfa
Photos in Wilaya de DjelfaSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos