"Humboldt Bay, a landlocked shelter" Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka by JLBG
Eureka Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 213 photos
Eureka is a city of 25,000 in the county of Humboldt and the county seat.
When I lived in Davis for one year, I wanted to visit Eureka for a very personal reason: I lived in Davis in Eureka avenue! I found that besides that reason, it was a place that deserved an actual visit as it hosts a whole set of Victorian mansions that are an abslute wonder.
One question arises. Why this name Eureka? I have found two explanations. The first one refers to the discovery of gold but gold was fist discovered near Sacramento, several years before it was found in the Eureka neighborhood (Trinity region).
The second refers to its position on a landlocked bay (Humboldt bay). Though sailing along northern California coast began as early as 1579, Humboldt Bay remained ignored for almost three centuries: the entrance into the bay is very narrow and in the often foggy conditions that prevail so often on the coast, with dangerous shoals that fringe the coast, boats had to sail at some distance from the coast, too far to notice it. At the very beginning of the XIXth, Russian explorers from Fort Ross mapped the country and described it but nevertheless, it was not until 1849 that it was accurately spotted, from inland first. Shouting “Eureka” on this discovery would be very likely! The city was founded a few month later, in Spring 1850.
A visit to Eureka can be associated with a visit to the world tallest trees in the Redwood National Park, to Lassen Volcanic Park, to the Lava Beds National Monument and to Crater Lake.
The Lava Beds National monument (page to come) lies in the far north east corner of California. It is a striking example... more travel advice
Crater Lake (page to come) is located in Southern Oregon in the Cascade Mountain range, 160 km inland from the Pacific... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Eureka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Humboldt Bay, a landlocked shelter"
- "Eunique Eureka"
- "Charming Eureka"
- "Eureka: Among the Redwoods"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eureka
- Hotels in Eureka
- Transportation in Eureka
- Nightlife in Eureka
- Restaurants in Eureka
- Shopping in Eureka
- Warnings and Dangers in Eureka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eureka
- 13 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Eureka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eureka
Photos in EurekaSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos