"Humboldt Bay, a landlocked shelter" Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka by JLBG

Eureka Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 173 photos

Eureka is a city of 25,000 in the county of Humboldt and the county seat.

When I lived in Davis for one year, I wanted to visit Eureka for a very personal reason: I lived in Davis in Eureka avenue! I found that besides that reason, it was a place that deserved an actual visit as it hosts a whole set of Victorian mansions that are an abslute wonder.

One question arises. Why this name Eureka? I have found two explanations. The first one refers to the discovery of gold but gold was fist discovered near Sacramento, several years before it was found in the Eureka neighborhood (Trinity region).
The second refers to its position on a landlocked bay (Humboldt bay). Though sailing along northern California coast began as early as 1579, Humboldt Bay remained ignored for almost three centuries: the entrance into the bay is very narrow and in the often foggy conditions that prevail so often on the coast, with dangerous shoals that fringe the coast, boats had to sail at some distance from the coast, too far to notice it. At the very beginning of the XIXth, Russian explorers from Fort Ross mapped the country and described it but nevertheless, it was not until 1849 that it was accurately spotted, from inland first. Shouting “Eureka” on this discovery would be very likely! The city was founded a few month later, in Spring 1850.

A visit to Eureka can be associated with a visit to the world tallest trees in the Redwood National Park, to Lassen Volcanic Park, to the Lava Beds National Monument and to Crater Lake.

• Intro Updated Mar 27, 2009

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Great page!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 2:48 AM

This look like a well hidden gem! Nice tips and pictures, thanks for sharing!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2009 at 7:02 AM

I would love this town esp the wonderful Victorian mansions like Carson Mansion. Being close to the ocean, having a taste of fresh seafood would be a must.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 2:10 AM

My sister just sent me an outline itinerary she is suggesting for some trips during our visit to her in Spring 2010 - Eureka is on it. Quite a treat to look forward to now I've seen your lovely page.

• Aug 10, 2009 at 3:34 AM

Lovely picture of Victorian house

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM

J-L, this is a very interesting page! Great historical tips on the Victorian houses of Eureka. My old home of Fredericton had quite a few too, but none as ornate Carson House!! Excellent tips on the Redwood trees and lava tunnels too!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed this visit and it is not surprising to see all these Victorian treasures kept in pristine condition all through the years. Grazie for a lovely tour, Carol

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 6:31 AM

These sublime architectural treasures would be a must-see for me when next we visit California. A lovely page, Jean-Louis. Merci.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Lovely Victorian houses! Very interesting page!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 3:43 AM

We celbrated our 20th wedding anniversary with a trip around western USA, got as far as Eureka - nice memories here for me. Thanks. leyle

JLBG