"Death Valley ? No, a valley of flowers !" Top 5 Page for this destination Death Valley National Park by JLBG

Death Valley National Park Travel Guide: 905 reviews and 1,963 photos

Death Valley is the largest National Park of mainland USA. It has stunning landscapes such as Zabriski point, shown here. The name of Death Valley might have been coined for better marketing by tour operators to bring new visitors. Actually, it is the name given by the first settlers, in the XIXth century and was mostly designed to discourage others to come here mining !

It is a land of contrast. The valley itself hosts the lowest elevation in the entire world while it has a frame of several ranges of high elevation mountains, such as the Panamints, shown here.

Scotty's Castle is said to be a must. I had a look from the outside and felt that was enough. There were plenty of other things to visit, I had not much timle and I have no regret about skipping it. I preferred to look and take photos of all the superb flowers that you will see under "general"

• Last visit to Death Valley National Park: Apr 1980
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2007

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Good info. We opted out. Maybe we should have gone there but we had been so hot.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Great page and pics of the flowers. I just finished my page, when I was there the flowers were not in bloom and I only had part of one day. I must return.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 10:11 AM

great tips here. Also i liked the opening photo. all the best. Bora

• Mar 15, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Lovely picture of Zabriski point! I also like the Mules wagon!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM

wow got to hurry up and get myself here to these beautiful parts of the USA - thanks for the recommmendation for April!nice pics and tips thanks J-L!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2008 at 3:15 AM

Fascinating page on Death Valley. With all the wonderful plant-life, the valley is actually full of life and beauty.

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Thanks for the tips. I am planning a visit in April, and I guess this is the best period to go. Looking forward to see the desert blossoming.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 2:46 AM

What a fantastic tour! Thanks for the great tips. It's amazing how the landscape adapts and changes to the environment...yet, as your pictures show, retain their beauty.

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 3:01 AM

I went camping & hiking here on Spring Break in 1996 & came through a couple of other times on day trips. Early spring is a good time to visit, especially when there has been some rain. Not many think of Death Valley as a place of beauty--but it is!

• caribe_utopico's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 9:55 AM

Unless the states is considered the entire world then yes... Death Valley is the lowest point on the entire world. In the meanwhile you still have to count the Death Sea over in Palestine, Israel and Jordan.

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Death Valley National Park

Have you been to Death Valley National Park?