"Bodie, once a busy city!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bodie State Historic Park by JLBG
Bodie State Historic Park Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 226 photos
A gold slab reminds that gold was discovered here in 1859… No sorry, it should be a gold slab but it is not. Is it a golden slab ? I am afraid is not, neither. I would bet for a brass slab! Too bad but everybody will understand that even a golden slab would not remain for long on display!
Bodie is one of the well preserved ghost towns of the west. It is in Mono county, 120 km south to Lake Tahoe, at an elevation of 2,550 m (8,400 feet). To reach Bodie, you must drive a dusty 8 km (13 miles) long road, off of state highway 395.
The town was abandoned around WWII and became Bodie State Historic Park in 1962. Since then, it is ruled by the California State Park System and kept “in a state of arrested decay”.
Bishop, in Inyo county, prides itself to be the "Mule Capital of the World". It is on US Highway 395, the main... more travel advice
In the cemetery, a large slab of granite reminds the memory of Waterman S. Bodey that gave his name to the town. He was... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Bodie State Historic Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bodie State Historical Park 1859"
- "Bodie, once a busy city!"
- "Only the Rangers Remain..."
- "Low on Gas, not on Ghosts: Bodie"
- "Pioneer Days the hard way"
- "Good! By God, I'm Going To Bodie!"
- "Roundtrip USA : part 7 The ghosttown Bodie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bodie State Historic Park
- Hotels in Bodie State Historic Park
- Transportation in Bodie State Historic Park
- Nightlife in Bodie State Historic Park
- Restaurants in Bodie State Historic Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Bodie State Historic Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bodie State Historic Park
- 21 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Bodie State Historic Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bodie State Historic Park
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of DSwede's Bodie State Historic Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Bishop, on Highway 395 in Bodie State Historic Park Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bishop, on Highway 395"
- updated a Bodie State Historic Park Travel Page "Bodie, once a busy city!"
Photos in Bodie State Historic ParkSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos