"Bodie, once a busy city!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bodie State Historic Park by JLBG

Bodie State Historic Park Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 226 photos

A gold slab reminds that gold was discovered here in 1859… No sorry, it should be a gold slab but it is not. Is it a golden slab ? I am afraid is not, neither. I would bet for a brass slab! Too bad but everybody will understand that even a golden slab would not remain for long on display!

Bodie is one of the well preserved ghost towns of the west. It is in Mono county, 120 km south to Lake Tahoe, at an elevation of 2,550 m (8,400 feet). To reach Bodie, you must drive a dusty 8 km (13 miles) long road, off of state highway 395.

The town was abandoned around WWII and became Bodie State Historic Park in 1962. Since then, it is ruled by the California State Park System and kept “in a state of arrested decay”.

• Intro Updated Feb 13, 2009

• Jan 4, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Hi Jean, how are you ?

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2009 at 11:05 AM

When you saw parks in US, you did it up right around California. Great pictures and comments on this historic town. It does nearly rival some of those parks I saw in Utah/Arizona recently, and cam e back alive.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM

Hahahaha, love the toilet joke :-)) They seem to have adapted the Roman habit, community s*** was very popular there as well :-) Oh my, I love ghost towns, and this one reminds me of the houses in Sweden: wood & red :-)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Great look at the old west. Ghost towns have a certain mystique. New Mexico has some neat ones along the Turquoise Trail. Thanks for bringing us to Bodie!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Great history entwined through your Bodie Page I loved the old buildings especially the leaning ones!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM

What a great page about Bodie State Historic Park. I especially liked the Mono Lake, Methodist Church, James Stuart's Home, Boone Store, Saw Mill, and the graves. I think Shell used to be a USA company in the beginning. Excellent Photographs.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Bodie State Historic Park is just the kinda place we'd love to visit - what incredible history - loved your stories!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 9:08 AM

A very interesting trip to this ghost town as if you traveled by time-machine! Funny story about a boy and a stranger at the amusing three-holer restroom. Wooden houses reminded me our Russian villages where one can find a lot of them even now.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Jean-Louis, excellent photos and descriptions of the many buildings in this old ghost town! As a youngster, I remember how cold the outhouse was at my grandparent's place in winter! Later, I had a summer job at my grandfather's small sawmill.

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Great photos Jean-Louis. I doubt that a real gold sign would last long even in this remote spot. The "three-holer" does seem a little tight...maybe it gave a opportunity to find a clean seat if someone's aim was off recently ;-) Thx...Tom

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Bodie State Historic Park

Have you been to Bodie State Historic Park?