"Bishop, on Highway 395" Top 5 Page for this destination Bishop by JLBG

Bishop Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 131 photos

Bishop, in Inyo county, prides itself to be the "Mule Capital of the World". It is on US Highway 395, the main North-south road, immediately east of the Sierra Nevada. We drove Highway 395 several times but never visited the city of Bishop. The following tips are on the surroundings of Bishop.

• Intro Written Feb 10, 2009

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Very interesting page on the mule capital and Bodie. Thanks!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Mule capital, this sounds funny :-) Maybe they were using the cows as messenger to know when they had to hide?

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Nice page on the Bishop area. I especially like the pictures with the snow. I too have never been to the town of Bishop, but found the nearby area enjoyable.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Very picturesque surroundings of Bishop with wonderful mountain landscapes and the impressive Mount Humphreys! An amazing ghost town. Thanks Jean-Louis for sharing!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM

nice new page - nice photos - and I bet those beef steaks are delicious with all those sage weeds! (sim to sheep growing in similar conditions in Australia made fab eating!)

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Jean-Louis, Your photos are great of Bishop. I call the sage brush...weeds. lol You do the mountains of Bishop, I'll do the food and lodging. lol. Larry

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Hi Jean-Louis, You showed me a part of my country that I've never seen. I've spent a lot time in California but nowhere quite as remote as this. Certainly is a beautiful landscape. Thanks for broadening my horizons...Tom

JLBG