"A short glimpse to Kutaisi under the rain" Top 5 Page for this destination K'alak'i K'ut'aisi by JLBG
K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 113 photos
Kutaisi is a 200,000 inhabitants city and is the second largest city of Georgia after Tbilisi. It is the capital of the Imereti region, in western Georgia.
The Imereti region corresponds to the legendary kingdom of Colchis. There are actually a whole series of legends but the general idea is that the Argonaut, led by Jason, sailed from Iolchos (now Volos in Greece) seeking the Golden Fleece. They found it in Colchis and stole it to take it back to Greece.
In the Xith, king David IV the builder had its palace in Kutaisi. He was the first to unify the whole Georgia around him.
In modern times, Kutaisi has been considered as home of the Russo-Georgian mafia.
During the 2008 war with Russia, Kutaisi received numerous refugees from Abkazia.
On our way back from Batumi to Tbilisi, we stopped in Kutaisi for one hour. That was not enough for a good visit and therefore, this page will only give a glimpse on the city center. We have not visited the old city but only the modern part. I have found little document on what I have photographed. However, as Vt has few pages on Kutaisi, I felt that I should nevertheless build a page.
VT does not have Kutaisi (the city) as a location but only K'alak'i K'ut'aisi (the district).
The main streets are lined with impressive and wealthy buildings but as soon as you walk into back streets, the style of... more travel advice
There were two dozens of people queuing outside the Liberty Bank. There did not seem to be any special reason and that... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "one of the most ancient cities in the world"
- "A short glimpse to Kutaisi under the rain"
- "Kutaisi-worth to see"
- "Kutaisi: My Georgian Story"
- See All...
- Things to Do in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Hotels in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Transportation in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Restaurants in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- 12 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to K'alak'i K'ut'aisi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Wrote a Review Back street building in K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Back street building"
- created a K'alak'i K'ut'aisi Travelogue "Kutaisi, honored great men"
- Commented on one of JohnniOmani's K'alak'i K'ut'aisi travel pages
Photos in K'alak'i K'ut'aisiSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos