"Berat, the thousand windows city" Top 5 Page for this destination Berat by JLBG
Berat Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 377 photos
I have visited Berat three times, in 1988, 2007 and 2009. Berat is an outstanding city that deserves a visit. It was declared a museum city in 1961 and thus, even the religious buildings were protected from drestruction. It was inscribed in 1996 on the UNESCO World Heritage tentative list which means that it is nominated for the UNESCO World Heritage list.
Berat, a city of 47,000 inhabitants, stands in east central Albania, 160 km south to Tiranë.
Berat stands on the north-south high road from Durrësi to Tepelena, Gjirokastra and Ioanina (in Greece). The first sight is of a city that spreads on the slopes of two mountains that face one another, on both sides of river Osum, a tributary of river Seman, Mali Tomor (2416 m) is one of the highest mountains in Albania. Mount Shpirag is only a little lower.
The city spreads over two hills that face one another, on both sides of river Osum. On the left bank of river Osum, Gorica, which used to be the Christian district. Gorica is topped by a ruined castle. On the right bank, Mangalem, which used to be the Moslem district. Mangalem is topped by the citadel. Inside the citadel walls, The Kala district is still inhabited. It used to be a Christian district with several churches and the ruins of two mosque. The modern city has spread in the plain, upstream and downstream along the right bank of the Osam river. Historically, the oldest part of the city is the Kala district. When the space inside the walls of the fortress became two small, both Mangalem and Gorica began to develop. The modern city began to be built at the end of the XIXth-beginning of the XXth.
The town was founded in the second century B.C. under the name of Antipatrea by the Illyrian Dasaretes tribe. The Bulgarians took it in the ninth century and kept it for two centuries under the name of Beligrad (white City) which later gave Berat. It was successively ruled by the despot of Epirus, Michael Angelus Comnenus (13th), the Serbs (1345) and the Turks (1450). In 1809, the famous Ali of Tepelen, Pasha of Janina (born in Tepelen), surnamed Arslan, also known as the Lion of Janina, took control of the city.
From the terraces of hotel Mangalem the view are outstanding Photo 1: is a new terrace, with new rooms that they are... more travel advice
Both in 2007 and in 2009, we visited Albania in late May. Both times, we noticed that there were often busses loaded... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Berat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Berat, the thousand windows city"
- "Berat - History"
- "thecity of the thousand windows"
- "2400 years old town"
- "under construction"
- "The City of Thousand Windows"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Berat
- Hotels in Berat
- Transportation in Berat
- Restaurants in Berat
- Shopping in Berat
- Warnings and Dangers in Berat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Berat
- 48 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Berat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Berat
Photos in BeratSee All Photos (152)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos