"A well hidden village" Dardhe by JLBG
Dardhe Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 135 photos
Dardhë, also known as Darda, Dardha, Darza, Darze, Dhardha is a mountain village at a mean elevation of 1300 m, 30 km south-east to Korcë, 4 km from the Greek border as the crow flies. It is actually 7 km away from Trilofon, the closest Greek village. In 2002, Dardhë had 502 inhabitants.
It is hidden in the Gramos mountains (Albanian: Gramoz, Mali i Gramozit; Aromanian: Gramosta, Gramusta; Greek: Gramos), a mountain range sitting on the border between Albania and Greece with peaks over 2,523 m (8,278 ft).
Dardhë is not very old. Though it is only partly documented, it seems to have been created about three centuries ago when men wanted to escape the Turkish rule and remain Christian. In the beginning, there seems to have been groups of 20-30 men that came with their belongings and their weapons on mules and lived part time in the place. Were they rebels or bandits ? May be both !
The name Dardhë means “pear” in Albanian. The legend says that when the rebels were asked where they had settled, they answered “Tek Stani nën dardhë » (with the sheep, under the pear). Dardhë was the name of the mountain overhanging the place (because of its shape ?). They later kept the name. This suggests that they spoke Albanian, though they are very likely to be Aromanians and must have spoken also Greek. They actually wandered in the whole area that is now partly in Albania, partly in Greece with Korcë (Albania) and Fiorina (Greece) as main cities.
A Greek school was opened in Dardhë in 1810, an Albanian school in 1917.
It is not easy to build a page about a village like Dardhë. There is no monument, no prominent building, no outstanding landscape. Though, IMHO, it is a must see. It is the village itself as a whole that makes it a must see. It is considered as the prettiest village of Albania. Therefore, I will present this page as a drive from the valley, followed by a walk in the various parts of the village.
I was surprised to find that there were several restaurants in Dardhë. I have checked none of them but felt it might be... more travel advice
I was surprised to find that there were several hotels in Dardhë. I have checked none of them but felt it might be... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
More photos of Dardhë 1
Written May 9, 2016
More photos of Dardhë 2
JLBG's Related Pages
Dardhe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Dardhe
- Hotels in Dardhe
- Restaurants in Dardhe
- Warnings and Dangers in Dardhe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dardhe
- 35 Reviews
- 135 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Dardhe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dardhe
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos