"Durrësi, the main harbor in Albania" Top 5 Page for this destination Durres by JLBG
Durres Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 166 photos
Durrësi is one of the oldest cities of Albania. It was founded by Epidamnos, king of the Taulants, an Illyrian tribe. He gave the city his name. In 627 BC, Illyrian invaders from Corynth and Corfu took control of the region and rebuilt the city as Durrakhion. In 229 BC, the Romans took control and changed the name to Dyrrachium which gave later the name of Durrazzo in Italian, Durrës in Albanian and Drač in Croat.
For the Romans, Dyrrachium was highly strategic: it was the cross road between the marine route from Brindidi and the inland route that led to Thessaloniki and Byzance, the Via Egnatia. The city kept its strategic importance along the centuries. It explains why it is very difficult to dig for ancient buildings: the ancient city is underneath the modern town.
Durrësi is 33 km from the capital, Tirana. It is the first harbor and the second most important city in the country. It has now more than 200,000 inhabitants.
I had built a Durrësi page from my 1988 travel in Albania. Instead of mixing 1988 and 2007, I have preferred to build a new 2007 page. I have transferred my 1988 page to Rrethi i Durrësit.
This is an entirely new page!
In the outskirts of Durrësi, house owners seem to have completely unleashed their inspiration for the choice of the... more travel advice
Along the wide main avenue, new buildings for housing are mushrooming. As can be seen on both photos, they are all... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Durres Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Durrësi, the main harbor in Albania"
- "The Ancient Capital"
- "Durres 2008"
- "Next charter destination?"
- "Eat Good Fish"
- "Fresh wind from Adriatic sea ---DURRES OF ALBANIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durres
- Hotels in Durres
- Transportation in Durres
- Nightlife in Durres
- Restaurants in Durres
- Warnings and Dangers in Durres
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durres
- 15 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Durres?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durres
Photos in DurresSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos