Gjirokaster Favorite Tips by JLBG Top 5 Page for this destination
Gjirokaster Favorites: 4 reviews and 5 photos
Favorite thing: Along the road from Jorgucat to Gjirokaster, a series of villages are spread on the lower slopes of the Mali i Gjerė mountain range, in the same way as Gjirokaster. The road sign for most of them bear both an Albanian and a Greek name : Lazarat, Haskovė, Lugar, Gorice, Grapsh, Terihat, Sofratike, Frashtan and other.
The first photo shows one of this villages which is especially scenic with the cliff that overhangs the village.
Photo 2 is a close up that shows an imposing church that stands in the middle of the village, framed by tall cypresses.
We have not visited any of these villages but I feel that this is a mistake and that they might have the same interest that Gjirokaster and host some architectural jewels such as this church.
Birds eye view on the Drino valley
Favorite thing: After Delvinė, the road from Saranda to Jergucat climbs the Mali i Gjerė range (the Great mountain) and reaches a height of about 800 meters. After that, it goes down to Jergucat, into the valley of the river Drino, a tributary of the river Vjosė that pours into the Adriatic a few kilometers north to Vlorė. The first photo is a birds eye view on the valley of the river Drino, near Jergucat. It was shot from the road, at mid height.
The bottom of the valley is perfectly flat and an excellent agricultural land. It is dotted with hundreds of the Enver Hoxha round bunkers. They are better seen on the close-up of the second photo.
More Reviews (58)
JLBG's Related Pages
Gjirokaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "NEW Gjirokastra/Argyrokastron page"
- "City of a Thousand Stairs"
- "A quiet beauty"
- "The town made of stone"
- "Old city"
- "World Heritage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gjirokaster
- Hotels in Gjirokaster
- Transportation in Gjirokaster
- Nightlife in Gjirokaster
- Restaurants in Gjirokaster
- Shopping in Gjirokaster
- Warnings and Dangers in Gjirokaster
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gjirokaster
- 60 Reviews
- 137 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Gjirokaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gjirokaster
Photos in GjirokasterSee All Photos (137)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos