"Himarë and the Albanian Riviera" Himare by JLBG
Himare Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 14 photos
In the antiquity, Himarë was inhabited by the Chaonians, one of the 14 Greek tribes of Epirus. Chaonians are often mentioned in Ulysses’ adventures.
Himarë is a large village between Sarandë and Vlorë. It is 51 km north to Sarandë and 32 Nautical miles from the main port of Corfu Island
The region of Himarë comprises 8 villages: Himarë, Dhërmi, Palasë, Vuno, Pilur, Qeparo, Kudhës and Iliasi. The population of the Himarë region is estimated at around 3,000 inhabitants. Himarë itself should have around 500 permanent inhabitants and 3,000 in summer when expatriates (from abroad and from the capital) come back home.
The name of Himarë is said to come either from its founder, Chimaira or from the Greek “cheimarros” (torrent). Himarë is the only one of the villages of the Albanian Riviera that is not clutched to the mountain but stands in a small plain, at the foot the Keravnia Mountain.
In 2009, we stopped briefly in Himarë, as the road works for the new road were very busy in town. The main street was closed for traffic. Once the road works finished (very soon), there will be a very pleasant promenade along the sea. There are several cafes with a terrace. This is where we had a beer. Sorry, because of the road works, I did not take any photo.
The road makes a loop to avoid the deepest part of the valleys. Photos 1 and 2 were taken from the north with again the... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Himare Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Himarë and the Albanian Riviera"
- "Thank goodness for Rapo's Resort"
- "HIMARA - a quite greek-albanian resort"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Himare
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Himare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Himare
Photos in HimareSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos