"Lezha, Skanderbeg burial site" Lezhe by JLBG

Lezhe Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 46 photos

Lezha is a 20,000 inhabitants town, 39 km south to Shkodra and 77 km north to Tirana. It was founded by Dionysios of Syracuse under the name of Lissus. It is called Alessio in italian

Lezha was the site of the League of Lezha in 1444 where Gjergj Kastriot Skanderbeg united the Albanian princes in the fight against the Ottoman Empire. Skanderbeg was buried in the cathedral of Lezhë which was dedicated to Saint Nicholas.

On our May 2007 travel, we have not really visited Lezha. We made only a short stop to have lunch and did not even visit Skanderbeg burial site, the main point of interest of the town!

I had built a Lezha page from my 1988 travel in Albania. Instead of mixing 1988 and 2007, I have preferred to build a new 2007 page. I have transferred my 1988 page to Rrethi i Lezhes.

This is an entirely new page!

• Last visit to Lezhe: May 2007
  • Intro Written Oct 20, 2007

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Great tips on an interesting location!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2008 at 5:32 AM

I like the pic of the lady wearing traditional and modern clothes. Also enjoyed the tips on the local cuisine.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 2:24 PM

An interesting new page about your 2007 visit. I remember from the old GDR that restaurants there were sometimes just called "Restaurant", without any other name.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 1:44 PM

An interesting look at daily life in Lezne, Jean-Louis. That looks to have been a marvellous meal!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Skanderbeg burial site may be an interesting place. A woman in traditional clothes and Nike looks really amasing. Thanks Jean-Louis for sharing!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 11:30 AM

nice page. i cycled through there when i was in albania myself 3 years ago.

JLBG