"Llogara pass, access to the Albanian Riviera" Llogora by JLBG
Llogora Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 34 photos
Llogara pass (Qafa e Llogarasë) stands at1027 meters elevation and runs over the Çika Mountain range.
The Çika Mountain range begins at the Karaburun peninsula, running south it is taller and taller. It reaches 2,044 meters elevation, a little south to Llogara pass. The range runs almost until Sarandë. For centuries, it has almost completely isolated the stretch of country running from Palasë to Sarandë from the hinterland. This is why the inhabitants had easier connections by sea with Corfu and Greece than by land with inland Albania.
The first Llogara pass road was built in 1920 but until recently was from Llogara pass to Sarandë a narrow way, almost single lane, sometimes a dirt road, sometimes with an old dilapidated coating. The segment from Llogara pass to Dhërmi was the first to be widenened and coated, most probably around 2005 (when we visited in 2007, it was new but already weathered). Most of the segment from Dhërmi to Sarandë was in may 2009 finished but there remained still a few parts that were roadwork. At the end of 2009, there should not remain much to do.
Just as we went to our car to drive to Vlorë, a herd of 20-30 cows with their calves came down from a path, upper than... more travel advice
Why donkeys would roam on the side of the road where there is nothing to graze while on the other side there is plenty... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Llogora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Llogara pass, access to the Albanian Riviera"
- "Unexpected redemption!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Llogora
- 17 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Llogora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Llogora
Photos in LlogoraSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos