"Saranda and southern Albania, 1988 and now." Top 5 Page for this destination Sarande by JLBG
Sarande Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 277 photos
The Illyrian tribe of the Chaonians founded the city and named it Onchesmos. It has never been ruled by the Romans but several mosaics dug out show that it had many trade exchanges with the Roman world and was a wealthy city in the 2nd-3rd century BC. Ali Pasha of Tepelena used it as a port for Ioannina. However, there are almost no remains of the past except a few diggings.
Sarandë/Saranda is the Albanian name for the Greek Saranda, meaning "forty", named after the Byzantine monastery of the "Forty Saints".
When I first visited it, in 1988, most of the city dated back only from the 50s. On my second visit, in May 2007, I found that a great many new buildings had been built and were still building, though some parts of the city center remained unchanged. In 2007, we spent a very limited time in Saranda (actually, just enough time to have a yummy pizza with a beer) and did not visit the town. In 2009, we took a little more time. The modern city is beautiful, well built and very pleasant but Saranda has no real ancient part with a significant architecture.
Pizzeria Limani is a very large bar and pizzeria that stands directly along the seafront. They have a wide choice of... more travel advice
All three photos were shot from the sea front, almost in front of the city center. They show the south part of the bay... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Sarande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saranda and southern Albania, 1988 and now."
- "From Greece to Albania."
- "Sarande - entrance to southern Albania"
- "The south gate to Albania"
- "DUNK67's Sarande Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarande
- Hotels in Sarande
- Transportation in Sarande
- Nightlife in Sarande
- Restaurants in Sarande
- Shopping in Sarande
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarande
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sarande
- 24 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Sarande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarande
Photos in SarandeSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos