"Shkodër/Scutari" Top 5 Page for this destination Shkoder by JLBG
Shkoder Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 297 photos
Shkodër, a city of 90,000 inhabitants stands at the northern end of Albania, on Liqeni I Shkodres (Lake Skadar or Shkodra Lake), 116 km from Tiran?, 15 km from the Montenegrin border and 27 km from Ulcinj/Ulqin, as the crow flies.
The name of the city is Shkodër in Albanian, Scutari in Italian. The names Shkoder and Shkodra are also found. The name of the city is supposedly derived from Latin scutarii. literally "shieldmakers," referring to a Roman legion created by Constantine.
It is considered as one of the oldest cities in Europe. In 500 BC an Illyrian fortress was already guarding the crossing west of the city where the Buna and Drin rivers meet. It was the capital of legendary Queen Teuta. The Roman took Shkodër in 168 BC and developed it as a strategic place on a main communication axis along the Eastern Adriatic coast. It was later taken by the Serbs who made it a major trading center of the medieval kingdom of Zeta. In 1396, it was the turn of the Venetian to take the city that was soon attacked by the Turks. After several seats, the Turks took the city in 1479 and the city was devastated. It was not until the 17th century that it regained some importance. It became the economic center of northern Albania and the leading city of the Gheg cultural region (see my Albania page, to come).
I was lucky to visit Albania from North to South in 1988 and in 2005 had a day trip to Shkodër.
This page is built both with 1988 and 2005 photos and I have tried to show how the city has at the same time changed and remained the same between these two dates.
This little church stands on the outskirts of Shkodra, along the road to Tirana and just where the second track that... more travel advice
Along the small road tht leads to a dam on the Drin river, possibly in Vau i Dejës, a poster looks like a warning of... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Shkoder Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Shkoder - City at the foot of Rozafa Castle"
- "A historical city among waters and mountains"
- "Shkodra, the gate to Montenegro"
- "The city where the fish is Krap and we enjoyed it"
- "Shkoder in the north of Albania"
- "The Mercedes Country..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shkoder
- Hotels in Shkoder
- Transportation in Shkoder
- Nightlife in Shkoder
- Restaurants in Shkoder
- Shopping in Shkoder
- Warnings and Dangers in Shkoder
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shkoder
- 48 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Shkoder?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shkoder
Photos in ShkoderSee All Photos (101)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos