"Vlora, a strategically situated city" Top 5 Page for this destination Vlore by JLBG
Vlore Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 147 photos
Vlora is 150 km south to Tirana and 130 km north to Saranda. It is only 75 km from Brindisi, in southern Italy; The Vlora bay is an excellent shelter. The harbor is already important and the second of the country after Durrës. It should develop as it is the only on the Adriatic coast between Trieste in Italy and Patra in Greece that can stand very large tankers that need a deep harbor.
Vlora has played a main part in the process of independence of the country. Ismaïl Qemal Beg was the leader of a group of 83 delegates from all over Albania (including Kosovo and Çameria) that landed in Vlora and declared independence of the country on November 28th 1912. A huge monument celebrates the story.
The period between 1996 and 2002 was very sad for the whole country but even more for Vlora. Given that Italy (Brindisi) was so close, people from all over the country gathered in Vlora to get out of the country. After that turmoil, for several years, the city was a nest for a great many traffics. This period is over and the situation in Vlora is returned to normal. Anyone can visit without any fear. When coming from Tirana, Vlora is the access to the Llogara pass and the Albanian Riviera.
In 2009, it seemed that the worldwide recession had also hit Albania in some places. There were still a lot of new... more travel advice
As I have explained in another tip, it is not easy to find Pulbardha restaurant. Once you have found the sign for... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Vlore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vlora, a strategically situated city"
- "valona: where the adriatic meets the ionian sea"
- "ahh.. really like this coast"
- "Beautiful beaches, weddings and fireworks & Maya"
- "armando2001's new Vlore Page"
- "Vlora is a great city."
- "Loading and offloading..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vlore
- Hotels in Vlore
- Transportation in Vlore
- Nightlife in Vlore
- Restaurants in Vlore
- Warnings and Dangers in Vlore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vlore
- 18 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Vlore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vlore
Photos in VloreSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos