"Voskopojë, a little known gem" Voskopoje by JLBG
Voskopoje Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 144 photos
At an altitude of 1,160 meters, Voskopojë is a 2,200 inhabitants mountain village, 21 km west to Korcë. Until very recently, I had never heard of Voskopjë. I know now that it is a must see.
It is named Voskopjë in Albanian, Moscopole in Aromanian, Moscopolis in Greek, Moskopolje in Serb.
It was founded by Vlach/Aromanian shepherds. The date of its foundation is unknown. It remained a village until the XVIth. At the beginning of the XVIIth, it became a main stage on the trade route from Byzance (Constantinople) to Venice and began to develop fast. In 1788, it had 35,000 inhabitants and was only second to Istanbul in the Ottoman Empire.
The city was mostly populated by Vlachs/Aromanians that usually spoke Aromanian (a Latin language closely related with Romanian) and Greek (used for the writing). It had 24 churches, a monastery ,a university, etc… The first printing press in the Balkans was in Voskopojë. In 1771, was printed the first dictionary Greek/Shkip/Aromanian/Bulgare. In 1788, the town was plundered and destroyed by Ali Pasha from Tepëlenë, pasha of Ioannina. Most the inhabitants that were not killed flew away and the city never regained its wealth. There remain 5 churches and a monastery with beautiful paintings.
- In a nutshell:A must see in Albania
We had a mixed salad, truit served with fries and a bottle of wine for two more travel advice
However, when I look at my photos of the chairs, I discovered that I had, by pure chance a few bits of the paintings.... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Voskopoje Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Voskopoje
- 37 Reviews
- 144 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Voskopoje?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Voskopoje
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos