"Antibari (Bar) [Montenegro] vs Bari [Italy]" Top 5 Page for this destination Bar by JLBG
Bar Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 81 photos
Bar is made of Stari Bar, the old city, situated inland and Novi Bar, usually called Bar, a city that grew around Pristan Port. Stari Bar is 5 km east of the Bay of Bar (Luka Bar), on the border of the Barsko Polje (the plain of Bar), at the foot of Mount Rumija (1593 m).
Bar (Novi Bar) developed after Montenegro (Crna Gora [Black mountain] in Montenegrin, Serbian and Croatian) became independent in 1878. The building of the narrow gauge railway between Bar and Virpazar, Podgorica and later Beograd (Belgrade) boosted its growth. After 1950, Bar was built as a modern harbor equipped with all facilities required by modern trade. Now, all maritime trade of Montenegro and most of the maritime trade of Serbia passes by Bar harbor. Bar is connected by ferries with Ancona and Bari, which makes it the main port of entrance for visitors coming from Western Europe to Montenegro and northern Albania (Skhodër). The Italian name of the city is Antibari, which reminds clearly that it is strongly linked with the Italian harbor of Bari, on the other side of the Adriatic.
This photo shows the view you get from the ferry when arriving close to the coast, a dozen of kilometers north to Bar.
The first mention of Bar dates from the end pf the 9th. At the end of the Middle Ages, the town was ruled by Byzance. In 1183, it was conquered by the Serbian Župan (prince) Stefan Nemanja. Under the Nemanjić rule, the city became wealthy because of the trade developed with other cities of the coast and with Italy. After the death of emperor Dućan, it was ruled by several families and in 1443 took by the Venetians. The Turks conquered the city in 1571 and it was not before 1878 that Bar was freed by the Montenegrin army of the new independent state of Montenegro.
I always enjoy these school warning road signs where, they seem to say " he, pay attention, this is a school, you should... more travel advice
Nikšičko pivo is found almost everywhere in Montenegro. I know, I should have put this tip in a "Montenegro"... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Bar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Antibari (Bar) [Montenegro] vs Bari [Italy]"
- "Bar, Montenegro"
- "my Bar page"
- "What a name!"
- "Killing Time in Bar"
- "The My Holidays in Bar - Montenegro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bar
- Hotels in Bar
- Transportation in Bar
- Nightlife in Bar
- Restaurants in Bar
- Shopping in Bar
- Warnings and Dangers in Bar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bar
- 17 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Bar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bar
Photos in BarSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Bar hotel reviews
- Villa Jadran
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 10, 2012