"Donji Štoj" Donji Stoj by JLBG
Donji Stoj Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 21 photos
I wanted to write a page about Stoj but it does not exist in VT location database and I had to share my tips between Donji Štoj and Gornji Štoj. Under Donji Štoj I have put Milena canal and Štoj plain. Under Gornji Štoj, the group of restaurants that stand by the bridge that leads to Ada Bojana.
On his first visit to Ulcinj, Prince Nikola of Montenegro learnt that children were dying from malaria because of the stagnant waters of Ulcinjsko Polje (Ulcinj's lake), in Albanian : Liqeni i Zogajve (Zogajve Lake). He ordered to drain the lake and allow water to flow out of the lake into the sea.
A 4.5 km long canal was dug in 1885, according to the designs of the Russian Vladimir Ivanovic-Varman, engineer of the court of Montenegro. Once the canal was dug, it appeared that the lake was lower than the sea and seawater flowed into the lake instead of the lake water flowing out to sea. Though the technical result was not what was expected, the health issue was finally solved, even better than expected : due to evaporation, the lake became so salty that it prevented mosquitoes that transmit malaria from breeding there. Less children died of malaria, and out of gratitude the local population named the canal after Princess Milena.
Salt works of Liqeni i Zogajve provide salt to the whole country.
Velika plaža (the big beach) runs on almost 20 km, from Ulcinj to Ada Bojana. In Summer, it receives thousands of bathers. In the morning (about from 10 to 12 AM), the road is clogged by a huge traffic jam on the Ulcinj-Velica plaža lane. If you go to Ulcinj from Ada Bojana, the road is free. It seems that bathers leave the beach very late, almost at dusk and between 7 and 9 PM, it is the Velica plaža-Ulcinj lane that is clogged.
They have a wide terrace shaded a white roofing with numerous ceiling fans. The service is efficient and fast. They... more travel advice
Restaurant Don Paco is situated along the road from Ulcinj to Ada Bojana. They have a wide terrace shaded by tall trees... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Donji Stoj Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Donji Stoj
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Donji Stoj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donji Stoj
Photos in Donji StojSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos