"Durmitor, Tara and Žabljak" Top 5 Page for this destination Nacionalni Park Durmitor by JLBG
Nacionalni Park Durmitor Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 188 photos
This page is not only about Durmitor National Park but about our whole trip, including driving Tara river canyon from Mojkovac to Djurdjevica bridge, then Žabljak and the Park itself and finally the way to Šavnik.
Tara river flows both in Montenegro and in Bosnia where it flows into the Drina river. Tara river canyon is in Montenegro while 80 km away as the crow fly, Tara Park is in Serbia (and the closest river is the Drina).
Durmitor National Park is inscribed on the Unesco World Heritage list with the following description : This breathtaking national park was formed by glaciers and is traversed by rivers and underground streams. Along the Tara river canyon, which has the deepest gorges in Europe, the dense pine forests are interspersed with clear lakes and harbour a wide range of endemic flora.
Durmitor National Park, has 5 canyons, 18 lakes carved by glaciers and a dozen of summits over 2,000 m: Bobotov Kuk (2,523 m), Bezimi Vrh (2,487 m), Minin Bogaz (2,387 m), Medjed (2,287 m), Savin Kuk (2,313 m), Sljeme (2,455 m), Planinica (2,330 m), Crvena Greda (2,175 m) and Pruts (2,393 m).
The massif was named Durmitor by the Vlach shepherds that grazed their cattle on the plateau. In Rumanian, the language of the Vlachs, Durmitor means "the one that is sleeping" as it looks so peaceful. Similar mountain names are found in the Balkans: Visitor (“the one that is dreaming”) and Cipitor (also "the one that is sleeping"). Another etymology is often mentioned without being substantiated (the “copy and paste" syndrome!). It claims that it derives from Celtic roots meaning “mountain with water" but I have not found any confirmation for this etymology which seems very dubious.
Žabljak is the main town of this far north part of Montenegro. Hikes in the Park are mostly starting in Žabljak
On May 22nd, when we arrived in front of Hotel Enigma, there was no car parked in front. The sign in front did not tell... more travel advice
Viola calcarata, the mountain violet is a plant that is found at high elevations throughout the whole Alps but also in... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Nacionalni Park Durmitor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Durmitor, Tara and Žabljak"
- "Climbing on powerful Durmitor"
- "national park durmitor"
- "High peaks and deep canyons"
- "Put your hiking talents to a test!"
- "Delightful Durmitor"
- "The Tara Gorge"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nacionalni Park Durmitor
- Hotels in Nacionalni Park Durmitor
- Transportation in Nacionalni Park Durmitor
- Nightlife in Nacionalni Park Durmitor
- Restaurants in Nacionalni Park Durmitor
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nacionalni Park Durmitor
- 29 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Nacionalni Park Durmitor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nacionalni Park Durmitor
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- updated a Nacionalni Park Durmitor Travel Page "Durmitor, Tara and Žabljak"
- Commented on one of peterdhduncan's Nacionalni Park Durmitor travel pages
- Wrote a Review Restaurant Enigma in Nacionalni Park Durmitor Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Restaurant Enigma"
Photos in Nacionalni Park DurmitorSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos