"Kotor/Cattaro" Top 5 Page for this destination Kotor by JLBG

Kotor Travel Guide: 553 reviews and 1,293 photos

Kotor stands at the southern-east tip of the Gulf of Kotor, at the foot of Mount Lov?en. Along the centuries, it had as much as 14 different rulers and has changed its name several times. The Greek city of Akourion, became Acruvium for the Romans. It became later Decadaron, Catarum, Catera, Cathara. For the Venetians it was Cattaro, which name is still used in Italian and in Venetian dialect, while for Slavs, it is Kotor.

The city walls climb from sea level up to 260 meters above the city (Sveti Ivan/San Djovani hill) and are twice the length of Dubrovnik's walls. They are between two and twenty-five meters thick and at heights of up to twenty meters in some places.

The old town itself was built in a very narrow triangle, between the mountain and two rivers, the Skudra in the north and the Gurdica in the south. It lies mostly on a narrow strip of almost flat land along the sea and on the lowest part of the steep slopes of Mount Lov?en

The city walls were built by the Byzantines and reinforced by the Venetians, which made of Kotor an almost impregnable stronghold. It has three entrances : main entrance, north entrance and south entrance.

In 1572, Kotor was hit by the plague. In 1667 and 1979, the area suffered a severe earthquake. Since 1979, the city of Kotor and its area have been on the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List and the city of Kotor was declared an endangered world monument due to the high seismic risk of the area. Today, thanks to international funding under the UNESCO, Kotor has been almost completely restored. Though it did not suffer from bombings in the 90s, Kotor today still suffers from the indirect consequences of the war, which hit considerably the economy. Tourism was the main income of the area. For a decade, visitors from outside (new) Yugoslavia were few. Only since 2001-2002 did they began to come back in number. One significant indication is that there is still only one guidebook on Montenegro in English, none in French, as far as I know none in Italian and it seems that it is only in German that there are several guide books.!

In the 60s, Kotor had 5,000 inhabitants, in 2003, 24,000.

I want to thank very warmly Jelena (VT Aurorae) who warned me of all the mistakes I had made in this page. I have edited my tips following her advices. She raised a question about Sveti Tripun, which lead me to document more completely several of my tips. Hvala mnogo, Jelena !

• Pros:A must see
  • Cons:Can be very hot
  • In a nutshell:Nevertheless, obviously a must see
  • Last visit to Kotor: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 1, 2005

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2010 at 7:53 AM

You have a great page on Kotor. Liked iy very much. Bora

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 5:52 AM

Oh wow, another beautiful place!! I love this city wall remains, reminds me of my beloved Gubbio walls, also at the hill slope. And these magnificent details like the Venezia lion and this gorgeous tryptych!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM

I'm surprised to see how many sights there are in Kotor. Do they actually have any beaches nearby?

• Lazslow's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM

My dad said the Bjeladinovic Houe was built with gold from the California gold rush. I know one of my Bjeladinovic cousins is still supposed to live there. The Bjeladinovic family were Knez of Risan and our crest can be found in the museum in Kotor.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2008 at 11:48 PM

Excellent and accurate work with a lot of info and wonderful photos! I'm planning a visit to Montenegro soon. This country is among very few where Russians needn't get visas. So it's a good choice for immediate trip if I only would want, ha-ha!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 9:04 AM

I always enjoy reading about your Balkan escapades and travels as you have such good pictures with great info and history. Always an enjoyable read....Just wish I had a similar energy and motivation....Tim

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 5:47 AM

Lovely page. In June this year we too found Kotor and it's bay hot, deserted ... and absolutely beautiful. Our visit was too shaort and we definitely plan to go back. leyle

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Enfin une explication au prénom peu usité du professeur Tournesol ! Hmm, aurait-il quelque chose à voir avec la fixation fantaisiste du heurtoir ? (test de désagrégarion de la peinture ?)

• Kiaune's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2006 at 11:43 AM

Amazing pics!

• andrea.d's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2006 at 4:51 AM

Beautiful page! Greetings from Serbia!

JLBG