"Virpazar, gateway to Skadarsko Jezero NationalPark" Virpazar by JLBG

Virpazar Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 65 photos

Virpazar is a quiet and peaceful small town, 1297 inhabitants. It stands at the northern tip of Skadarsko Jezero (Skadar lake). There are no buildings of architectural of historical interest in Virpazar but the interest of the city lies in its position on the lake. Virpazar is the largest town on the Montenegrin shore of the lake, which is a National Park.

South to Virpazar, houses are scattered in the mountain. Some are still in construction but each of them has a vine climbing on the front of the house, that will allow to prepare home made Rakija, the local brandy.

• Last visit to Virpazar: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2005

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Lovely page Jean Louis! Wanted to say hi and wish you well!

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Hi Jean Louis. I have changed my trip north to a trip south to Ulcinj as they have a Montenegro Special on by train for €66 Rtrn Bpest-Bar. So hopefully I can switch dates and travel to Sweden next month. Thx for the gr8 pics+tips.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2010 at 3:37 AM

Lovely little page about Virpazar, which we might visit on our trip through Montenegro in August.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I stick with the olives, ham and paprika :-) And rent a boat :-)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2008 at 11:39 AM

I'd like to see the Skadarsko Jezero someday because Montenegro is in my wish list (need no visa for Russians). Thanks Jean-Louis for the virtual tour!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Have never been to Montenegro but quite fancy it. Your link to the Pelikan isn't working!!

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 4:35 AM

I don't think I'll order roaches, eel is too greasy for me, I guess I'll be eating prshut every day in Montenegro! :o)

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2005 at 11:04 AM

Imagine, I have never been to Virpazar! Shame on me! By the way, Njegoš wasn't a king, he was vladika (head of the church) and head of the state, so, the was both religious and profane ruler. :-) He was a great writer and a philosopher as well.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 4:16 PM

Nice landscapes, impressive monument and local architecture, grilled eel + rakija haha - great page.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 11:11 AM

Virpazar seems like a quiet and enjoyable place for a short stop-over. Nice scenery and I like the looks of that old bridge too!

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Virpazar

Have you been to Virpazar?

Latest Activity in Virpazar