"Koper/ Capo d'Istria" Top 5 Page for this destination Koper by JLBG
Koper Travel Guide: 139 reviews and 398 photos
Caution: wait before visiting this page as I am currently updating it and adding many new photos.
When you are in Trieste and that you want to go to Koper, you must know that the road signs will give the road for Capo d'Istria ! If ever you saw a road sign for Zara, do not go, this is Zadar ! Once in Koper/ Capo d'Istria, you will learn that you are coming from Trst ! Be prepared to this little gymnastic, you will have to do it often around the border.
The first photo shows the view on Koper from the south, coming from Croatia and Portoro? Koper was built on an island, close to the shore. The island is now a peninsula as the strait has been filled and a dam built in 1825.
In this place, the Greeks built a settlement that they named ?Egidia?. The Roman called it "Capris insula" (goats island) which later gave the Slovenian name of "Koper". When it was ruled by the patriarchs of Aquilea (1232), they called it in Latin "Caput Istria" (Head of Istria) which gave under the Venetian "Capo d'Istria", with the same meaning. Koper has long been ruled by Venice and has a very Venetian look.
Slovenia has only 50 km of coast, between Italy (Trieste) in the north and Croatia in the south. As Koper/ Capo d'Istria is the main harbor of Slovenia, it is an industrial city but nevertheless has kept a nice old city center that is worth the visit. The famous small outboard engines Tomos are built in Koper.
I seldom buy ice creams but I found that especially in Koper, the shops that sell ice creams are strongly mouthwatering... more travel advice
Belgramoni-Tacco Palača (Belgramoni-Tacco Palace) was built in the early XVIIth. It is a fine example of Venetian... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Koper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Koper - Capodistria"
- "Koper/ Capo d'Istria"
- "A Door To Slovenia...."
- "Welcome to Koper(Capodistria)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koper
- Hotels in Koper
- Transportation in Koper
- Nightlife in Koper
- Restaurants in Koper
- Shopping in Koper
- Warnings and Dangers in Koper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koper
- 24 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Koper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koper
Photos in KoperSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos