"Piran/Pirano" Piran by JLBG
Piran Travel Guide: 517 reviews and 1,252 photos
Piran is one of the oldest towns in Slovenia. Together with Ptuj and Škofja Loka it is a member of the Association of Old Towns of Slovenia. It stands on a peninsula and is the westernmost part of Slovenia. The commune of Piran has 17,000 inhabitants and the town itself 4,700. The municipality is bilingual, Slovene and Italian.
Its name comes from the Greek word Πυσ/Pyr, fire, as there was a lighthouse at the tip of the peninsula to warn boats sailing to Aegidia (now Koper). Under the Romans, the city was known as Piranum. After the XIIIth, it was part of the Republic of Venice and named Pirano. In the XVIIIth, it was integrated to the Austro-Hungarian Empire until WWI, when it was made part of Italy. After WWII, it was part of Zone B of the Free territory of Trieste, under Yugoslav rule and in 1954 it became full part of the Republic of Slovenia, one of the Republic of the Yugoslav Federation. Since the bursting of the Federation and the independence of Slovenia, the country has a dispute with Croatia about the access to the harbor by sea and the country borders in the gulf of Piran. This conflict, that blocked the admittance of Croatia into EU has been very recently settled (September 2009) which should now allow the admittance of Croatia into EU.
Piran had city walls as far as the VIIth century. They were extended in the XIIth and in the XVIth. The last extension gave the city walls the appearance they have nowadays. Piran is a member of the Walled Towns Friendship Circle of Europe. Piran is a very touristy town with a rich architecture.
We arrived very late at Restaurant Neptun as it was already past 3PM but, fortunately, they were still serving... more travel advice
Photo 1: Cerkev sv. Petra (St Peter’s Church) was first built in 1272 on a place that was outside the city walls of that... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Piran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Slovenia with a touch of Venice"
- "One of the most livable places in Europe."
- "PIRAN - the pearl of Slovenian Coast"
- "Piran - Slovenia's coastal jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Piran
- Hotels in Piran
- Transportation in Piran
- Nightlife in Piran
- Restaurants in Piran
- Shopping in Piran
- Warnings and Dangers in Piran
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Piran
- 19 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Piran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Piran
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos