"An underrated destination." Top 5 Page for this destination Skofja Loka by JLBG

Skofja Loka Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 593 photos

Škofja Loka is an old city of 23,000 inhabitants, 25 km north west to the capital, Ljubljana. It was founded in 973 AD and is one of the oldest cities of the country, together with Piran and Ptuj. Loški Grad (Loški castle) was first built before1202. Škofja Loka is considered as the most beautiful and well kept medieval city of Slovenia.

It was repeatedly looted in the XVth and suffered from the 1511 earthquake. Most of the old city was rebuilt in the XVIth.

Škofja Loka stands at 345 meter elevation, at the confluence of Poljanska Sora and Selška Sora (rivers Poljanska and Selška)

• Last visit to Skofja Loka: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2009

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Skofja certainly has it's fair share of historic buildings! It was nice to see a bit of the surrounding countryside too in your view from the castle! A very scenic location for a city.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Jean-Louis, lovely little page with brilliant photos of Skofja Loka. I once visited the town for a few hours on my trip from Bled to Ljubljana by train.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Great that Skofja Loka has so many interesting historic buildings. I like that little suspended garden by the river -- making use of every square centimeter of space. And I'm glad Jurij was able to save Agata from the waves of the torrential Sora River.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Yes, I agree with you, an "off the beaten path destination"

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2009 at 10:16 PM

A very picturesque place - a true holiday for a photographer and a lover of history. Slovenia as well as other former Yugoslavian republics are in my wish list. Thanks Jean-Louis for reminding me about this white spot on my map of Europe!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 1:44 AM

I have to re visit this town. I've been there twice , but I haven't seen enough of it. Ciao!

• Sep 9, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I think Slovenia is an underrated travel destination as a whole – or at least this is the case in the U.S. Perhaps it is better received with the rest of Europe. I enjoyed looking at your pics of all the old, colorful houses: they seemed so fitting.

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Skofja Loka

Have you been to Skofja Loka?

Latest Activity in Skofja Loka