Iceland Things to Do Tips by JLBG Top 5 Page for this destination
Iceland Things to Do: 978 reviews and 2,239 photos
Under ''Must see activities'', I have put the beginning of the trip, including Dettifoss, Asbyrgi, Kelduhverfi, Husavik, Ljösavatn, Godafoss, Myvatn. This the North-East part of Iceland, beginning in Seydisfjordur.
In early July, the flow of the Jokulsa river is at it's peak. The sound is incredible !
On in the Jökulsa a Fjöllum river, most impressive Dettifos is Europe's largest waterfall. It drops 44 meters (144 feet) into a long canyon. There is a spray of water one hundred meter away from the waterfall and a thunderous sound heard at least 1 kilometer away. You have better have waterproof clothes, otherwise, you will be rapidly soaked!
Downstream to Dettifos, Jökulsa river is very calm. You would never believe that the water has performed such a high jump into the into Jökulsargljüfür canyon! I have read that it was possible to canoe on the lower Jökulsa river but I have seen anybody doing it.
In the national park of Jökulsargljufur, Asbyrgi is a valley lined by vertical cliffs and forked, so that it has roughly the shape of a horseshoe. In the Viking mythology, according to Egil’s Saga it is a footmark of Sleippnir, Odin's eight-hoofed horse.
During the winter of 1975-76 this area was hit by several main earthquakes, which altered the landscapes. Here one of the faults is shown. The photography was taken in 1979 and it had not much changed in 3 years. It would be interesting to see how it is looking now!
In Kelduhverfi, there are a myriad of recent faults, rifts and dislocations of the earth's crust, created during the tectonic period 1975-84. Two fault systems cross the Kelduhverfi County, the Theistareykir system and the Krafla system. The fault shawn here is a small but spectacular.
Near Kelduhverfi, an inhabited area. Very close to a house, a tree has grown to an unusual height for Iceland as it was protected from the strong northern winds by the house. We can bet it will never grow neither higher than the top of the roof nor larger than the house itself !
Kelduhverfi is situated between the Tjörnes peninsula and Öxafjord County. Here, the coast is shown. The beach is made of volcanic ashes, which gives it a dark color. The strong currents of the ocean have built a narrow peninsula at the mouth of this little stream.
For a longtime, fishing has been the main activity in Hüsavik. The harbour is not very large but well protected. The industry of fish preservation has now taken a main importance as it allows exporting the fish. Recently, fish farms have been installed in the bay.
For centuries, cod used to be dried in the open, on windy places. In Iceland as well as in Norway, this has long been a part of the countryside. Gulls used to feed on these facilities and to take their toll. Now this type of facility is less and less in use.
More Reviews (100)
- Night wanted !
- See All Two days later !
- See All What temperature ?
- See All Hekla
JLBG's Related Pages
Iceland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ICELAND - THE LAND OF ICE AND FIRE."
- "From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður"
- "Incredible ICELAND"
- "Surprising Iceland!"
- "A land of Fire, water and ice!"
- "Iceland: small wonder!"
- "a childhood dream come true at last"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iceland
- Hotels in Iceland
- Transportation in Iceland
- Nightlife in Iceland
- Restaurants in Iceland
- Shopping in Iceland
- Warnings and Dangers in Iceland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iceland
- 126 Reviews
- 157 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Iceland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iceland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos