"From Seyðisfjörður to Seyðisfjörður" Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland by JLBG

Iceland Travel Guide: 5,729 reviews and 17,283 photos

My main concern about Iceland was ''should I build one or several pages ?'' Several seemed better, owing to the amount of stuff I have got, but then, how to arrange these pages ? Most of the stuff is pictures and most pictures can hardly refer to towns and are mainly along inland tracks. It would have been hard to find the administrative divisions of Iceland and to fill several pages on this scheme. I have seen a very complete page on Iceland, by a VT member living there. It is full of very valuable data and interesting photos but very difficult to read because the name of the locations does not mean anything to the foreigner. I might have built pages on main locations, Gulfoss, Sellfoss, Barnafoss, Myvatn, Strokkur, Snaefellsnes, etc? But that would have meant many small pages and there would have been many orphan photos.

The year we went to Iceland, we had just bought a LandRover equipped for camping in order to do wilderness travels, mainly in the Sahara. We had carefully planned to spend our summer holidays in Southern Morocco with our two kids but it had been so hot at home for May and June that, one week before leaving, we decided do head northwards and to go to Iceland instead !

We drove from France to Scrabster (north of Scotland) to embark on the Smyril to the Faroe islands (have a look at my page) where we stayed 3 days while the Smyril went to Bergen collect some more passengers, came back to collect those dropped in the Faroe and finally sailed to Seyðisfjörður.

Our travel was a round trip with our LandRover from Seydisfjordur, July 6th to Seydisfjordur, July 29th. You can see on the map our route. Then I choose to follow the chronological pattern and to present the photos following this order. But if they were presented all in a row, that again would have been difficult to read. Then I have divided the presentation in five parts.

Under ''Must see activities'', I have put the beginning of the trip, including Dettifoss, Asbyrgi, Kelduhverfi, Husavik, Ljosavatn, Godafoss, Myvatn. This the North-East part of Iceland, beginning in Seydisfjordur.

Under ''general tips'', I have put the second part, with Hverfal, Herdubreid, Askja, Viti, Glaumbaer, Arbaer, Olafjordur, Haganesvik, Snaefelsnes, Hraunfossar, Barnafoss, Hvalfjordur, Hveravellir, Gullfoss.This the North-Western and Western part of Iceland.

Under ''off the beaten path'', Strokkur, Bleisi, Geysir, Sellfoss, Stong farm, Hekla.

Under ''Local customs'', Svarta, Kerlingarfjoll, Sprengisanður, Tungnafell, Lodmunður, Laugar,

Under ''sports travel'', Laki, Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, Vik, Eldja, Ofoerufos, Laka Gigar, Svartifoss, Jokulsa, Oralfajokull, Vatna, Breidamerkurjokull and finally Seyðisfjörður again.

I have added travelogues on birds and on plants and flowers.

As VT, most of the time does not show the special letters, I have chosen to avoid any. I feel that Seydisfjordur is easier to identify than Seyðisfjörður

• Intro Updated Jun 13, 2010

• jojes's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Nice Iceland pages !
    We've been to Iceland in april, such a great country. Thinking of going back next year to visit he part we haven't been to during this first visit.
    Still lots of work to do building my tips though ... ?

• nani80's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Amazing trip and interesting reviews! I loved the photo of midges, although I'm pretty sure it was no fun to deal with them :)
    I'm going to Iceland in July, and I really hope that my trip will be as much enjoyable.
    Regards, Natasa

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Very interesting tips. Great work. happy Traveling!

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Great tips! I enjoyed reading some of them...I will be back one of these days (to read the tips) ;)

• rachesuiphilippines's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I'm fascinated of the pic you posted from Iceland--Strokkur. Is that ice coming from the ground? Or plain water? Is it man-made?...lots of questions huh I think it's very interesting to visit such place.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 10:21 AM

REgardless of all the recent events, this really is a pristine place that hopefully will survive the weather changes. Good job of the pictures and comments.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Fundamental VT-job about Iceland! Gullfoss, Skogafoss and Dettifos look stunning. A few chances to see them but who knows... Thank you Jean-Louis for showing this magnificent country!

• may1273's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Thank you for a lovely page. I'd love to go to Ireland someday.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 12:48 PM

It's so Hot here! I came looking for cooler climes. Enjoyed a quick visit in Iceland but not sure how much cooler it would have been. Inteesting travels - Thankyou.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Very nice pictures and insights on Iceland - I am so excited because I am going to be there next week!!! Yoohoo!

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Iceland

Have you been to Iceland?

Latest Activity in Iceland