"Andros, the green island" Top 5 Page for this destination Andros Island by JLBG
Andros Island Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 171 photos
Andros is the northernmost island of the Cyclades and one of the largest with 380 square kilometers. Andros is the continuation of Evia. Further to Andros, Tinos island and Mikonos island are the emerged part of the same underwater ridge.
The population is only 8,800 with one half in Andros city, the Chora, on the east coast.
Access by sea is at Gavrio, on the west coast with ferries from Rafina. The bay of Gavrio is well sheltered for the strong northerly winds that hit frequently the island, while the bay of the Chora is wide open to these winds.
The road from Gavrio to Andros is the main communication axis of the island. It was constructed between 1929 and 1932. It first follows southwards the west coast until Stratopeda and Zaganiaris. In Zaganiaris, it divides in two parts. One turns eastwards across the island to Messaria and a little further, to Andros, the chora. The other leg continues south-eastwards to Korthio.
For more see my Andros page and my Gavrio page.
I was amazed to notice that I could find few detailed documents on Andros, either text or photos, let it be on guide-books or on the web. This is why I have several tips and photos that are incompletely identified. I hope some one will be able to complete them! Thank you in advance!
There is no surface water flowing in this small valley near Kaparia but nevertheless, water is flowing discreetly... more travel advice
The two photos show two different villages (or hamlets ?) in the south of the island, near Kaparia. As almost everywhere... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Andros Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andros, the green island"
- "Island of the sailors..."
- "Wild and peaceful!"
- "Winds of Change"
- "Andros the beauty of the cyclades"
- "Andros Greece"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andros Island
- Hotels in Andros Island
- Transportation in Andros Island
- Nightlife in Andros Island
- Restaurants in Andros Island
- Shopping in Andros Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Andros Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andros Island
- 14 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Andros Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andros Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos