"Andros, the green island" Top 5 Page for this destination Andros Island by JLBG

Andros Island Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 171 photos

Andros is the northernmost island of the Cyclades and one of the largest with 380 square kilometers. Andros is the continuation of Evia. Further to Andros, Tinos island and Mikonos island are the emerged part of the same underwater ridge.

The population is only 8,800 with one half in Andros city, the Chora, on the east coast.
Access by sea is at Gavrio, on the west coast with ferries from Rafina. The bay of Gavrio is well sheltered for the strong northerly winds that hit frequently the island, while the bay of the Chora is wide open to these winds.

The road from Gavrio to Andros is the main communication axis of the island. It was constructed between 1929 and 1932. It first follows southwards the west coast until Stratopeda and Zaganiaris. In Zaganiaris, it divides in two parts. One turns eastwards across the island to Messaria and a little further, to Andros, the chora. The other leg continues south-eastwards to Korthio.

For more see my Andros page and my Gavrio page.

I was amazed to notice that I could find few detailed documents on Andros, either text or photos, let it be on guide-books or on the web. This is why I have several tips and photos that are incompletely identified. I hope some one will be able to complete them! Thank you in advance!

• Intro Written Oct 22, 2008

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Jean-Louis, nice detail photos of Andros. The slate structure reminds me of the trulli in Alberobello. Take care, Larry

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Interesting & informative page = we also have a lot of old dovecots around here

• Dec 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Saw your pictures, really nice i live in Andros and there are much more thinks to seen and do, its a really unexplored island a if you need any help to get there or more informations like pictures and places to stay contact with me an Andros - expert

• Yank_o's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2008 at 1:13 AM

No clue about a bay called Apothikes, nor on the function of the pictured structure (never seen it, in fact). Sorry!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 9:33 PM

What a lovely island for hiking indeed :-) Interesting, how the farm habits develop, as well as the pigeon houses. Your mystery structure is maybe related to early farming, harvesting? But I don't know :-(

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2008 at 6:39 AM

I have fantasized about sailing around these islands and discovering a traditional wedding that I could crash...dancing in the grass! Thanks for another great page.

• Nov 5, 2008 at 2:16 AM

Nice information for a beautiful (but not so famous island) in my country

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM

An island with great rustic views. Wonderful place to have a carefrul Greek vacation.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 3:12 PM

I could not even try to pronouce 99.5% of the places you've been to see. What a lovely place! The terrace farming gives the country side such character. Another wonderful page and so educational.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM

Very enjoyable page. I'd love to see more of the Greek Islands.

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Andros Island

Have you been to Andros Island?

Latest Activity in Andros Island