"Much ado about (almost) nothing!" Top 5 Page for this destination Olympia by JLBG
Olympia Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 586 photos
Olympia is celebrated by everybody and is known worldwide. It was the first ancient Greeks’ site that I visited and I am sorry to say that I was not really impressed. I felt that there was not much remaining.
The museum was not open and I found that the site was very much ruined. It needs a lot of imagination to feel that this is where began the Olympic games®!
I understand that the museum, as it is now adds a lot of interest to the site.
In Ancient Greece, the Olympic Games were Pan-hellenic games but they were not the only ones. Several Greek cities had their Pan-hellenic games and I am not sure that those held in Olympia were the most famous
When we visited Olympia, we preferred to camp at Cape Katakolon, 20 km away from Olympia. We found a quiet bare field... more travel advice
At the western end of the Kyllini peninsula, between Loutra Killinis and Hlemoutsi stands on top of the Helonatas hill a... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Olympia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Olympia Arhea and Modern"
- "birthplace of Olympic Games"
- "Where Olympism was born, 2800 years ago"
- "Much ado about (almost) nothing!"
- "Olympia from the Classical period"
- "The Birthplace of the Olympics"
- "Paul's Olympian Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olympia
- Hotels in Olympia
- Transportation in Olympia
- Nightlife in Olympia
- Restaurants in Olympia
- Shopping in Olympia
- Warnings and Dangers in Olympia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olympia
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Olympia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olympia
Photos in OlympiaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos