"Much ado about (almost) nothing!" Top 5 Page for this destination Olympia by JLBG

Olympia Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 510 photos

Olympia is celebrated by everybody and is known worldwide. It was the first ancient Greeks’ site that I visited and I am sorry to say that I was not really impressed. I felt that there was not much remaining.

The museum was not open and I found that the site was very much ruined. It needs a lot of imagination to feel that this is where began the Olympic games®!

I understand that the museum, as it is now adds a lot of interest to the site.

In Ancient Greece, the Olympic Games were Pan-hellenic games but they were not the only ones. Several Greek cities had their Pan-hellenic games and I am not sure that those held in Olympia were the most famous

• Intro Updated Jun 26, 2008

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Jean-Louis, Being there, I enjoyed the palestra as I was a track and field athlete in High School and College. The starting line looked authentic. The mounds on each side were for the athletes to gather to watch. Now to find my wrap around. lol

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM

We visited Olympia a few years ago, and I agree it took a lot of imagination to envision what it once was. Still I was glad to have walked where the ancient Olympians once walked.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Good honest info, Jean Louis.We have just returned from visiting Athens, Santorini & Naxos. Loved the islands. So we plan to re-visit Greece. I wil be reading your other Greek tips.

• Feb 8, 2010 at 5:22 PM

an interesting page, and enjoyed your honest view. a shame there isnt much to see, but its still soooo historical, i'd love to take a look (at not much!) those columns erm, remind me of my fave thing too. loooool ;-P

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Your stone is Byzantine -Byzantine Greek often wrote sigma as C. You saw maore at Olympus than we did - someone must have angered the gods when we were there - we experienced the mother of all thunderstorms and the town was flooded! leyle

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 9:02 AM

An interesting and enjoyable page about Olympia. Looks like little remains of the old city. So I guess no residents can challenge the registered trademark of the modern Olympic Games. Great page!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 10:11 AM

Enjoyed this page very much! Yes, it isn't Philippeon - it might be Gymnasion? Thank you Jean-Louis for another argument against Olympia's antiquity (carved stone)! But 2000 years old are too much I think. I'll ask this question professor Kessler.

• Jun 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM

Great Olympia web site! You like ancient monuments! Me too

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM

Not much left but very topical with good reference to the modern olympics

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Olympia

Have you been to Olympia?

Latest Activity in Olympia