"Ioannina, capital of Epirus." Top 5 Page for this destination Ioannina by JLBG
Ioannina Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 557 photos
Ioannina is also spelled Ioanina or Janina.
In Greek, it is Ιoαννινα or Ιωαννινα or Γιαννενα. In Albanian, it is Janina/Janinë (definite/indefinite)
Ioannina is a large city of 100,000 in the north western part Greece, 95 km inland from Igoumenitsa. It is the capital of the nome (prefecture) of Ioannina and the main city of the province of Epirus.
Ioannina was founded by the Byzantine emperor Justinian I about 527 AD and during the early Middle Ages was part of the Eastern Roman Empire. Ioannina was annexed to the Ottoman Empire in the 1430s. The city was taken by Greece in 1913 with most of Epirus while the northern part of Epirus, with Saranda/Σαρανδα went to Albania.
We found a short gravel road leading to an apparently abandoned quarry with an outstanding view on the lake and the... more travel advice
These photos were taken from the small road leading from Ioanina to Longades and overlooking the lake. The first photo... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Ioannina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ioannina, capital of Epirus."
- "Water all around...."
- "Ioannina and the region"
- "The Idyllic City of Ioannina"
- "Welcome to Ioannina, the city of silversmiths."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ioannina
- Hotels in Ioannina
- Transportation in Ioannina
- Nightlife in Ioannina
- Restaurants in Ioannina
- Shopping in Ioannina
- Warnings and Dangers in Ioannina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ioannina
- 13 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Ioannina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ioannina
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos