"''Suspended in the air''." Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora by JLBG
Meteora Travel Guide: 383 reviews and 965 photos
The Meteora monasteries stand on majestic grey rocks rising in the Thessalian plain, in the centre of Greece, where Pinios river flows out of deep canyons of the Pindus range.
Ermits have lived in the caves in the plain since the beginning of Christianity. When there began the Turkish invasions, they began to climb to suspended, inaccessible caves ("eagle's nests") in the mountain, first to pray and later they made their dwellings. By the 11th century, the first monasteries were built on top of the rocks that overhang Kalambaka. They developed until the 15th and 16th, which was the golden age of monasteries in Meteora. There were as many as 24 monasteries. The Meteora underwent heavy damages from the Nazi armies during WW2 as they were used as strongholds by the Greek partisans.
Only six monasteries are still in activity :
Ayia Trias (or Haghia Trias or Agias Triadas)
Agios Stefanos (for nuns)
Haghia Rossani or Roussanou (for nuns)
Agios Nikolaos Anapavsas
The Great Meteoron or Transfiguration Monastery
The small town of Kalambaka is the main starting point to the Meteora. Starting from Kalambaka, the road that allows to visit the Meteors makes a 21 km loop,
The name ''Meteora'' comes from the ancient Greek ''Meteoron'' that means ''suspended in the air''. The Meteora, were inscribed in 1988 on the Unesco World Heritage list and are a must see.
Camping outside an organized camping is theoretically forbidden in Greece. If you tried to camp in the wild in touristy... more travel advice
In the old days, monks, visitors and supplying were hauled inside the monastery in a wicker basket. One or several monks... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Meteora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meteora & Kalambaka"
- "A Place Devoted to God"
- "...beyond Kalambaka (over Kastraki) - Meteoraki:)"
- "Heavenly breaths of nature"
- "''Suspended in the air''."
- "This is the place YOU HAVE TO SEE! "
- "Soaring Rocks..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Meteora
- Hotels in Meteora
- Transportation in Meteora
- Nightlife in Meteora
- Restaurants in Meteora
- Shopping in Meteora
- Warnings and Dangers in Meteora
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Meteora
- 18 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Meteora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meteora
Photos in MeteoraSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (102)
Latest Meteora hotel reviews
- Koka Roka
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 16, 2011