"Kastoria, the fur capital of Europe." Top 5 Page for this destination Kastoria by JLBG
Kastoria Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 177 photos
Kastoria, with a population just over 50,000, is the seat of a “nome” (prefecture) which is one of the most mountainous of Greece. It is located in the northeast of Western Macedonia, which means that it is very close to the Albanian border. Actually, as the crow flies, it is 17 km (38 km by road) from the border and 50 km (91 km by road) from Korcë while it is 140 km (195 km by road) from Thessaloniki and 350 km (565 km by road) from Athens.
For a long time, it had a very mixed population but in 1924 when borders were established between the new states of Greece, Albania and Turkey, most of the Albanian speaking population (mostly Moslem) was expelled either to neighboring Albania or to Turkey while there houses were attributed to Greeks expelled from Asia minor, ie Turkey.
The full name of Skanderbeg (1444-1468), the national hero of Albania, was Georges Skenderbeg Kastrioti, which means “from Kastoria” and he was “king of Epirus and Albania”.
Kastoria stands on a peninsula extending in lake Orestida, said to be one of the most beautiful lakes in Greece and has been announced a "Monument of Natural Beauty " by the Greek Ministry of Culture.
There are several opinions about the etymology of Kastoria. The most widely accepted is that it derives from the beavers (in Greek kastores) living in the lake and that were hunted for their fur.
We were lucky to find out of town but on the other side of lake Orestida a kind of terrace that seemed to have been used... more travel advice
Roadsides in Greece are dotted with small chapels with a burning lamp and a few pictures to honor some saint. Amazingly,... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Kastoria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kastoria, the fur capital of Europe."
- "Kastoria, the lady of the Lake....."
- "picturesque Kastoria!"
- "Kastoria, the city and the lake."
- "Kastoria - ÊáóôïñéÜ"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kastoria
- Hotels in Kastoria
- Restaurants in Kastoria
- Warnings and Dangers in Kastoria
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kastoria
- 15 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Kastoria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kastoria
Photos in KastoriaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (103)
Latest Kastoria hotel reviews
- 1 Review & Opinion