"Cefalonia, the sheep head shaped island." Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island by JLBG
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 316 photos
The name of Cefalonia means "the head" because of its shape, looking like the head of a goat. Cefalonia (in Greek Kefallinia) is the largest of the Ionian Islands. It is also the most mountainous. The summit of the island is Mount Ainos, elevation 1626 m. That might not seem very high, but you must consider that it is only 3.5 km away from the sea, as the crow flies! That is pretty steep!
Most ferries land at Sami, on the east coast, but the capital is Argostoli, standing on the west coast. There is always one of the ferries named Ayos Hierasimos as it is the name of the Saint patron of the island.
I visited Cefalonia several times, both by land, with our Land-Rover and by boat on a small sailing boat. By land, I visited the whole island, from north to south and from east to west. When that was on the occasion of self-steered cruises, we remained on the east coast. Our boats were too small to cruise safely on the west coast.
Cefalonia island makes the largest part of the Nome of Cefalonia (named Prefecture of Cefalonia on VT). Unsurprisigly, Ithaki island makes the second largest part
Note concerning the name of places in Greece and especially in Cefalonia
Greek has declinations, thus, in Greek, the name of a place can be spelled in (usually two) different ways. An example is Argostoli/Argostolion.
As Greek uses the Greek alphabet, all names of villages, cities, etc, given in Latin fonts are transcriptions. There are different systems of transcription. Then, the name of one village or one location can be transcript in different ways. An example is Fiskardo/Fiskardhon for Ψιςκαρδο.
VT location database uses sometimes transcript that are not among the most usual. Each time I feel it is necessary, I will give the Greek name in Greek fonts, the VT name and what I feel is the most usual transcript, found on most maps (not all of them, that would be too easy!).
This note works for everywhere in Greece but I had more problems adjusting the different transcript on Cefalonia.
On Cefallonia, it was not always easy to find a suitable place to spend the night. This one was almost perfect, at the... more travel advice
Yoghurt sprinkled with honey is a great Greek delicacy. Bakhlava is another delicacy sprinkled with honey. And there are... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Captain Corelli and a lot more!"
- "Cefalonia, the sheep head shaped island."
- "Packed It, Booked It, Flew Off"
- "Kefalonia: an island of contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cefalonia Island
- Hotels in Cefalonia Island
- Transportation in Cefalonia Island
- Nightlife in Cefalonia Island
- Restaurants in Cefalonia Island
- Shopping in Cefalonia Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cefalonia Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cefalonia Island
- 16 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Cefalonia Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cefalonia Island
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of Yank_o's Cefalonia Island travel pages
- updated a Cefalonia Island Travel Page "Cefalonia, the sheep head shaped island."
- Wrote a Review Kefalotiri in Cefalonia Island Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Camping in the wild!"
Photos in Cefalonia IslandSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos