"Two fortresses protect Kerkyra" Top 5 Page for this destination Kerkyra by JLBG
Kerkyra Travel Guide: 373 reviews and 843 photos
Two fortresses built under the Byzantines and strengthened under the Venetians protect Kerkyra, the main city and the “capital” of the island of Corfu. Between the fortress and the old city, Spianada (the Esplanade) is a green platform planted with old trees, lined by a gallery covered by archways in the same style as the Rue de Rivoli in Paris
The old city is packed in a small space, between the two forts and thus the streets are narrow. It is a must see in Corfu.
For more on the island, look at my Corfu island page.
On one of our sailing visits, we were lucky to spot the impressive Amerigo Vespucci, the famous school sailing ship from... more travel advice
When we crossed from Igoumenitsa to Kerkya, the weather was misty and that gave a mysterious look to the coast north to... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Kerkyra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece."
- "Emerald Island"
- "Two fortresses protect Kerkyra"
- "Kerkyra(Corfu Town)"
- "Corfu in a box"
- "Corfu Island & Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kerkyra
- Hotels in Kerkyra
- Transportation in Kerkyra
- Nightlife in Kerkyra
- Restaurants in Kerkyra
- Shopping in Kerkyra
- Warnings and Dangers in Kerkyra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kerkyra
- 14 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Kerkyra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kerkyra
Photos in KerkyraSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos