"Corfu, Odyssey’s island of the Phaeacians" Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island by JLBG

Corfu Island Travel Guide: 384 reviews and 1,249 photos

Corfu is the largest and the northernmost of the 7 Ionion islands that formed for a little more than half a century (1799-1864) the seven islands Republic: Corfu, Cephalonia, Lefkas, Zakinthos, Kithira Ithaki and Paxos.

In the antiquity, Corfu was named Corcyra. In the Odyssey, the description of the island of the Phaeacians where Ulysses landed just before his return to Ithaka, matches well with Corfu. Many European writers, painters or sculptors have celebrated the beauties of Corfu. Sissi (Elisabeth of Austria) ordered the building of the Achilleion in a superb landscape.
For the last fifty years, it has attracted millions of visitors from all over the world. Some sites have been spoiled by mass tourism but on the whole, the island has kept most of its charm as mass tourism has been mostly limited to a few places.

The island has a total population of about 100,000 spread over an area of 585 km2. One third of the population is in the capital, Corfu. For more on the city, visit my Corfu page.

Besides the island of Corfou (Kerkyra), the province of Kerkyra comprises the islands of Paxos and Antipaxos.

• Intro Written Sep 29, 2008

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Kouloura is so picturesque I could believe my eyes. Unfortunatelly, the small restaurant was closed this april...

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Jean-Louis, When I visited Corfu, we spent most of the time at a taverna by the sea with a seaman and his wife. It was more fun than sightseeing but your photos show me what we missed. We have 16 (40 foot) Cypresses on our property.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Great info. about the many beautiful scenes on the island. Last summer we were only able to walk around the downtown area and so missed Kanoni, Achillieon, etc.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 10:14 AM

More remarkable photographs. I really enjoy information about the monastery, olive trees, and the places of Sidari, Kouloura, & Lefkimi.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2008 at 4:54 AM

Fine, evocative photos! I have read books about Corfu Island, but have never been there.

• Oct 6, 2008 at 12:01 AM

Great new page!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM

Another great page about famous island! For us, Russians, Corfu is connected first of all with the navy battle of Russian squadron under command of admiral Ushakov in 1798. Thanks Jean-Louis!

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Corfu Island

Have you been to Corfu Island?

Latest Activity in Corfu Island