"Kythira, home to Venus" Kythira Island by JLBG
Kythira Island Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 120 photos
Kythira or Kythera or Cythera or Cerigo is a large and rocky island with rugged shores that lies at the southern tip of Peloponissus. Though far apart from the other Ionian islands, it is historically considered as one of them. However, administratively, in modern times, it is part of Attica.
It is 280 square kilometers (110,000sq mi), with only 3,500 inhabitants, which is very low, one of the lowest population densities in Greece. In 1864, the population was 15,000 but since then, there has been a very strong emigration towards Australia, the USA, Germany and Athens. Australia alone hosts a community of 60,000 Kytherian offspring!
After we had spent two weeks sailing in the proper Ionian islands, we had planned to visit Kythira with two cars. Our party had left our three sailing boats in Preveza and had driven to Neapolis to get tickets on the next ferry. When we arrived in Neapolis harbor, the ferry was on the horizon and came fast. At the ticket office, they told us that we could get passengers tickets but that cars were booked out. We had to make up our mind very fast: should we go without a car and without a tent or not. We decided to go and had 5 minutes to get prepared, collect a few belongings, etc…And we went … This was our Embarkment for Kythera but it was very different from the famous painting from Jean-Antoine Watteau ! Our unprepared group looked more like refugees hurrying on the last ferry with odds bags hanging on their shoulder than a romantic party wandering along the path leading to the boat! But we had fun!
Ferries sail to Agia Pelagia either from Monemvasia (larger ferries) or from Neapolis (shorter route). Another access... more travel advice
The road is steep between the chora and Kapsali (first photo) and it is good to have some rest along the way ! However,... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Kythira Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The island where Venus was born !!"
- "Kythira, home to Venus"
- "Kythira or Tsirigo"
- "Kythira Island, Greece"
- "Kythira Island.. a wonderful, peaceful getaway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kythira Island
- Hotels in Kythira Island
- Transportation in Kythira Island
- Nightlife in Kythira Island
- Restaurants in Kythira Island
- Shopping in Kythira Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Kythira Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kythira Island
- 7 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Kythira Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kythira Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos