"Corinth, an isthmus and a canal." Top 5 Page for this destination Corinth by JLBG

Corinth Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 220 photos

The Isthmus of Corinth is a mountainous strip of land that connects Peloponesus to Hellas. It is about 50 km long and an average of 12 km wide. However, in Corinth, it is much narrower : about 6 km.

It has always been a strategic place as it was the place where met north-south trade (by land) and east-west trade (by sea). Thus Corinth has since the antiquity been an important and wealthy city.

• Intro Updated Nov 9, 2008

• Nov 23, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Hope to see u in Greece again one day !

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 5:22 AM

I agree about the shops near the canal although things became very difficult for them after the construction of the new motorway further down.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Jean-Louis, great photos of one of my favorite places. I stood on the bridge and watched the ships pass under. My goal then was to pass under. One year later I stood on the deck of a ship and looked up at the people on the bridge. Goal!!!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 4:09 AM

Hi looking at your page here - when were you visiting the CC? I have made my page and tips yesterday if youd like to have a look and visited in May for the first time in Greece!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM

There were no shops around the Corinth canal when we were there , way back when!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 10:32 AM

Interesting updates here. Thanks for bringing me back to the bridge across the Channel! French engineers solved the task better than Roman prisoners! Ha-ha!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2008 at 8:03 AM

Thanks for an intrigueing look at something I was totally unaware of. What a mamoth undertaking! Very impressive. Imagine the trip thru the canal would be very exciting...altho a bit scarey as well.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 1:51 AM

nice page. i was in korinth 3 weeks ago and will be there again in 2 weeks time for work.

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Corinth

Have you been to Corinth?

Latest Activity in Corinth