"Lefkas, a digest of Greece" Top 5 Page for this destination Lefkas Island by JLBG
Lefkas Island Travel Guide: 102 reviews and 191 photos
Lefkas, also known as Levkas, Leucade or Lefkada, Sainte Maure or Santa Maura is one of the Ionian Islands. It is 35 km long and 15 km wide. It has every kind of landscape, large sand beaches, small and secluded inlets, tall cliffs, an inland plateau with mountains over 100 m, waterfalls, etc.
However, is Lefkas an island? It has for long undoubtedly been an island, separated from the continent by a 30 m wide canal. There was a small ferry that took into the island less than a dozen cars at a time. In order to fulfill the needs of the increasing traffic, a removable bridge has been installed. Most of the time, visitors will not even pay attention that they cross a strip of sea. Only when several boats are waiting to access the canal, the bridge moves to allow their passage while it is the turn of cars to wait for a few minutes. Then, is Lefkas still an island?
VT location database has several entries:
"Prefecture of Lefkada" which includes Nisis Lefkas (island of Lefkas) and Nisida Meganisi (island of Meganisi)
"Lefkas" (the chora)
Several other locations that are not always among the most important.
I have built three different pages:
"Lefkas" will be only for the city of Lefkas, the capital of the island, which stands at the "entrance" into the island.
On "Lefkas island" page, there will be tips on the northern and north-western coasts, on Ligia and Nidri, two villages of the eastern coast.
On "Vasiliki" page, will be tips on the southern part of the island :Vasiliki itself, Cape Lefkada and Sivota.
The west coast of Lefkas has no beautiful beaches. Most are narrow and more made of small boulders than sand. The few... more travel advice
The three photos of this tip were taken from the middle of Ormos Dhrepànou. The first photo is a general view. On the... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Lefkas Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lefkas, a digest of Greece"
- "Amazing palette of blue..."
- "Between sea and green mountain!"
- "The Ionian Princess"
- "Beautifull little lovely place on Island Lefkas"
- "Magnificent island!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lefkas Island
- Hotels in Lefkas Island
- Transportation in Lefkas Island
- Nightlife in Lefkas Island
- Restaurants in Lefkas Island
- Shopping in Lefkas Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Lefkas Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lefkas Island
- 33 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Lefkas Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lefkas Island
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Wrote a Review Almost desert beach in Drepano bay in Lefkas Island Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Crowded beach in Drepano bay"
- Commented on one of Irine_29's Lefkas Island travel pages
- updated a Lefkas Island Travel Page "Lefkas, a digest of Greece"
Photos in Lefkas IslandSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos