"Epirus, another Greece" Top 5 Page for this destination Metsovon by JLBG
Metsovon Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 173 photos
Metsovo is a mountain village of Epirus, clung on the slopes of the Pindus massif at an elevation of 1,160 meters with a population of 5,000.
It used to be reached by a narrow and winding mountain road. It is now easily accessed by the new E90 that links Igoumenitsa to Thessaloniki.
It is :
53 km east to Ioannina (1h).
126 km east to Igoumenitsa (1h30)
300 km west to Thessaloniki (4h)
Its population is mostly Vlach (named also Arumanian) and thus, besides Greek, speaks a Rumanian dialect. In Vlach, the city is named Aminciu. The Vlachs were originally shepherds who followed their flocks grazing from Romania to the Pindus mountains.
I have visited Metsovo several times from 1976 to 2006. I have seen the village develop and become more and more touristy. However, though in summer, it is now visited during the day by loads of tourists, in the evening it has kept a great part of its special aspect and life. I have never visited it in winter but it seems to be a major skiing resort in Greece. The first times I visited Metsovo, a significant number of the inhabitants (the oldest) wore on a regular basis their traditional clothing. The last times, that was not the case anymore but they seem to still wear it for special occasions such as marriages. If you want to visit the old Metsovo, climb in the narrow passages where no car (and few tourists!) will go !
This Caterpillar has the size of a small finger. I found it on a spurge. With its bright black, red and yellow colors,... more travel advice
On a previous year, I was lucky to get a whole row of old citizens, almost all of them wearing the Epirot clothing. They... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Metsovon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Epirus, another Greece"
- "Metsovo is a Beautiful Resort in Epirus"
- "touristic but picturesque"
- "Metsovo - Prefecture of Ioannina"
- "Metsovo and the region"
- "A good place to stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Metsovon
- Hotels in Metsovon
- Transportation in Metsovon
- Restaurants in Metsovon
- Shopping in Metsovon
- Warnings and Dangers in Metsovon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Metsovon
- 30 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Metsovon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Metsovon
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of greekcypriot's Metsovon travel pages
- Wrote a Review Spurge Hawk-moth caterpillar in Metsovon Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spurge Hawk-moth caterpillar"
- created a Metsovon Travel Page "Epirus, another Greece"
Photos in MetsovonSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos