"Desert lagoon" Nisida Petalas by JLBG
Nisida Petalas Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 30 photos
Petala lagoon was the most amazing anchorage that we had in Greece.
Why did we went to this “off the beaten path” place while we were sailing around Ithaka and Cephalonia ? The easiest explanation is to quote the two sailing guides that we used.
The Ionian Islands to Rhodes sailing guide, by H.M. Denham:
« Petala, the most southerly anchorage, is close to the entrance to the Gulf of Patras. There are depth here of 2-3 fathoms on a mud bottom with fine weed, good shelter and holding. At the head of the inlet, by the shallows, is a fishing settlement with many stakes and small boats”
Translated (and adapted) from a French sailing guide for Greece:
“The Petalas bay is a wide bay, well sheltered that does not look like any other anchorage in Greece. Westwards, it is sheltered by the high and steep cliffs of the Island of Petala. A fair size cave opens at mid height of the cliff. It is inhabited by a large colony of bats. In the north, a small group of cabins built on wooden piles stands alone, in the middle of a wide lagoon. The water is shallow and you cannot reach the settlement with a yacht but you can visit it in your tender.
The landscape evokes irresistibly prehistoric drawings in children books. The impression is even stronger in the evening, when the water is perfectly still.”
Obviously, we could not help but to visit this desert place, where no flotilla was to anchor! And here we sailed !
On our way to Kastos and after we had left the narrow channel across the lagoon-swamp, we followed closely the north... more travel advice
Early morning, the water was as still as it was in the evening. The sea looked like oil! If you look closely to the... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Nisida Petalas Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nisida Petalas
- 10 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Nisida Petalas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nisida Petalas
Photos in Nisida PetalasSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos