Pilos Things to Do Tips by JLBG
Pilos Things to Do: 6 reviews and 18 photos
14 arches stone bridge to the Castle of Methoni
Methoni is located 9km south of Pylos. It was already famous and fortified in the antiquity. However in the 12th, the Venetians fortified Methoni. The castle was accessed by a wood bridge. Later, after 1500, the Turks strengthened the castle that can now be seen. Its ruins are still impressive. The Venetian wooden bridge was replaced by a 14 arches stone bridge built over a moat by the technicians of “Expedition Scientifique de Morée”, that accompanied French general Maison between 1828 and 1833.
Road side chapelRoad side chapel
Road side chapels along the road are a common sight in Greece. They can be of very different styles. The first photo shows a brass lamp with oil burning. On the right, two bottles.to refill the lamp. Behind two plates with the figures of saints.
The second photo gives a close up on one of the plates. It is a bit dark but nevertheless shows clearly a bearded saint with a cap on his head.
The third photo is a general view of the chapel, topped by a crown of artificial flowers..
The city of Pilos
Pilos is now a nice little nested at the bottom of the bay of Navarin. It is a nice landscape with white houses nested along the hill, making a kind of amphitheater. It is pleasant to walk along the quays and in the small streets of the city.
Bay of Navarin
The first photo shows the bay of Navarin with the city of Pilos on the left. In the far background, on the right, the island of Sphacteria locks the bay.
The second photo is a close up on the island of Sphacteria. It shows well that it is made of tall cliffs that fall directly into the sea.
JLBG's Related Pages
Pilos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pylos... a Greek Gem (Page 11 of The Adventure)"
- "Pilos, bay of Navarin"
- "Pilos, land of Nestor"
- "Rowdy's Pylos Page"
- "2nd day in Peloponesso: Pylos: 3rd stop"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pilos
- Hotels in Pilos
- Transportation in Pilos
- Restaurants in Pilos
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pilos
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Pilos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pilos
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of nickandchris's Pilos travel pages
- updated a Pilos Travel Page "Pilos, bay of Navarin"
- Wrote a Review 14 arches stone bridge to the Castle of Methoni in Pilos Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "14 arches stone bridge to the Castle of Methoni"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos