"Beram, a hidden marvel" Beram by JLBG
Beram Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 47 photos
BERAM is located on a hill ten kilometers from Pazin toward Porec. In the 19th century, a prehistoric necropolis at the base of the settlement was studied that yielded valuable archeological findings. In the Middle Ages, Beram was surrounded by bulwarks and a great defensive tower was built in the center. In 1431 at the base of this tower, the Late Gothic church of St. Martin (Sveti Martin) was built. This church was decorated with frescoes that have been preserved in the eastern part of the new parish church (built at the beginning of this century since the old church was incorporated within the new monumental building).
Approximately 1.5 km from Beram is one of the most famous cultural and artistic landmarks in Istria - the cemetery church of St. Mary (Sveta Marija na Skrilinah). It was built in the Middle Ages and baroque remodelling contributed to its present appearance.
The interior of the church is ornamented by the most significiant Istrian mural cycle - frescoes painted by Vincent of Kastav in 1474. The different fields show sequences from the life of Mary and Christ, the entrance of Jesus in Jerusalem, the Last Supper, the figures of individual saints and symbolic scenes, Saint Martin, Saint Florian , etc.
The top half of the northern wall is occupied by a colorful procession, the Adoration of the Kings, and the top half of the western wall by an allegorical Dance of death.
The cycle of frescoes in the Church of St. Mary shows all the characteristics of the art of the border territory where influences from the south and north merge. Models of folk simplicity are incorporated in a unique narration. In this work, Vincent of Kastav was joined by assistants.
During the remodelling of the church in the early 18th century, some of the paintings disappeared from the sanctuary of were damaged when new windows were installed. With time, the frescoes by Vincent of Kastav and his assistants became covered by mortar, to be rediscovered in 1913 and exhibited to the public.
In the cemetery that is around the church, a few graves have kept their stone. More grave stones must be hidden by the... more travel advice
The entrance of Sveta Marija na Skrilinah does not open directly on the outside. There is a porch that protects the main... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Beram Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Beram
- 37 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Beram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beram
Photos in BeramSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos