"Cavtat, the south of the south in Croatia !" Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat by JLBG

Cavtat Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 419 photos

Cavtat is the southernmost town of Croatia. It is 16 km South to Dubrovnik and 30 km North to the Montenegrin border, 2 km out of the main road . This part of Croatia, for almost 150 km, is a narrow strip of land (10-15 km wide) between Bosnia Herzegovina and the Mediterranean.

The city was first a Greek colony named Epidaurus. Its inhabitants founded Dubrovnik in the 7th century on a location that offered more shelter. The city was later called Civitas vetus (the old city) by its former inhabitants. It is generally considered that Civitas vetus gave Cavtat though there are several legends that give different etymologies.

• Last visit to Cavtat: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Interesting read about the Date Mussel's and the salvaging effort on the Cargo ship, thanks for sharing!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2008 at 4:59 AM

Was lucky to visit Cavtat in August and found it absolutely beautiful. Will have to visit the restaurant you mention if we ever return. Found interesting your tip on the salvage wreck diving.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2008 at 4:09 AM

So glad you included the white wine for the lobster. I understand they get quite annoyed if you don't. (grin) Thanks for another look at an intrigueing country.

• tere1's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Hi Jean Louis! These places I wouldn't like to miss. Have to go there someday...! And I LOVE your restaurant tips .... ;)

• Apr 17, 2008 at 10:37 PM

My thanks to JLBG for reminding me of two happy stays in Cavtat in the 1980s. I revisited briefly in 2000 and found it to be relatively moribund - though a bit out of season - and hope it is now back to its blissful best.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Interesting town ! I like that old stone house and ahh, get hungry now that you mention seafood :-)

• rahoka's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 7:26 AM

Hi. I took a day trip to Cavtat while in Dubrovnik las June. A lovely place , much quite and peaceful. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

• lubyatoo's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Sorry to bug you, but there is no accent mark on Cavtat. I should know I have lived in Dubrovnik.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 5:30 PM

We stayed the night in Cavtat, pretty place.. but Croatia was playing Australia in the World Cup so it was a quiet night for all. (We won, so kept our heads down and left town quickly next day) leyle

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2006 at 4:02 AM

Lovely little Cavtat page. Though I don't drink beer, that local beer sure sounded good

JLBG