"Motovun/Montona" Top 5 Page for this destination Motovun by JLBG
Motovun Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 162 photos
Motovun is a city in the north-west of Istria, 21 km south-east to Buje. It had 700 inhabitants city in 1967, 538 in 2001. It is built on a 277 meters high hill that dominates the plain with the Mirna river and the Motovun forest, famous for its white truffles. It is perhaps the most picturesque of the numerous Istrian inland ‘jewels. In summer, it is always sunny. In October/November, the season for the white truffle, it can be misty. When I will come in Motovun in summer, I will take more picture !
Motovun has a history stretching back over 2300 years : there had been on top the hill a prehistoric enclosure. In the 10th and 11th century, it was belonging to the bishop of Porec and the patriarch of Aquilea. Since 1278, it came under the Venetian rule. The oldest part of the city is inside the 13th-14th century city walls, on top of the hill, with a breathtaking sight on the valley.
More at Motovun
The city has soon expended out of the city walls, first on the southern slope of the hill and later on the eastern shoulder of the hill. New fortifications and city walls, built from the 14th to the 17th century, protect these new parts and are connected together. Several doorways allow to enter in the city.
Motovun is now well known for its film festival, dedicated to independent film makers and producers. It takes place each year at the end of July-beginning of August.
More at Motovun film festival
It would be very difficult and time consuming to rely on public transport to travel in this area, though possible. The... more travel advice
Nowadays, "beware school" road signs are somehow standardized and not very different from one country to the other. I... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Motovun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Motovun - the Heart of Istria"
- "Inland Istrian Beauty"
- "Motovun (aka. Montona)"
- "most famous little town in Croatia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Motovun
- Hotels in Motovun
- Transportation in Motovun
- Nightlife in Motovun
- Restaurants in Motovun
- Shopping in Motovun
- Warnings and Dangers in Motovun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Motovun
- 20 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Motovun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Motovun
Photos in MotovunSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos