"Pula, second to Rome for its arena !" Top 5 Page for this destination Pula by JLBG

Pula Travel Guide: 530 reviews and 1,230 photos

Pula has a very unique characteristics : the cover of the sewer man-holes are made of gold. Not pure gold, of course, as it would not have the mechanical properties required. It is made of plated gold. You think I am kidding ? Look at the picture, isn’t that gold ? Oh, I am sorry, I took only this close up which might induce there is only one of such covers (in fact, I have discovered that I had a picture where you can see some of them. It is the first picture under "local customs"). It is true that this is not like that in the whole town. Actually, there are about two dozens of this type of plates, mainly in two streets close to the market.

Who has said this is not gold but brass ? May be you are right, after all, but anyway, I prefer my dream to the hard facts and to remember of Pula’s golden plated sewers!

It would not have been reasonable to build a Pula page without its arena. Then, here it is !
Pula is second to Rome for its arena !
I will put more details later on the arena, but it is one the the largest of the (Roman) world and one of the best kept.

Among so many Roman remains, you can occasionally find modern art. What do you think of this one ? And for those who know Pula or who plan to go to Pula, where is it ? I won't tell you. It is quite easy to find though not given in any of the guide books I have read !

• Last visit to Pula: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 25, 2004

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I think I'm going to Pula one of these days. Ciao!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Well, we are planning a trip to this area next year-the Krona is pegged to cheap dollar-so your tips are most helpful and in great detail. Great job of describing it all.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Defrinitely this arena is still in awesome condition after 2000 years! Awesome Pula pages - by the way, you are the featured member! Norman:)

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 3:23 AM

It was raining when i got to Pula, from your pages I realized that I missed a lot of things. Great page, useful tips and nice photos. Bora

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2008 at 9:42 PM

that stuff about Tesla is really interesting

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2008 at 3:21 AM

I drove down through here with 4 friends in June of 2002 and had a fantastic time!Never saw anything about staying away tho most people stay away from my Pula page and tips too!But yes Croatia along with its roman stuff is excellent!Love yr Tesla tip!

• Jan 29, 2008 at 2:05 PM

The guide books said Pula wasn't very nice, so I didn't go, now I see they lied I love Croatia, it's just sooo pretty!

• Dec 12, 2007 at 9:44 AM

The folk-name is Prvomajska.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 10:24 PM

another fantastic page with great tips from your pen. Thanks for sharing ;-)

• Oct 15, 2006 at 8:22 PM