"Trogir, an island from the Middle Ages" Top 5 Page for this destination Trogir by JLBG
Trogir Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 683 photos
The medieval city of Trogir stands on an island but the new city extends north on the continent and south on the large Ciovo island. In 1976, Trogir had 5.000 inhabitants, 10,000 in 2005.
The island was first inhabited by the Illyrians but the city was founded in the 4th century BC by Greek settlers from Vis under the name of Tragurion (goat island). Being on an island and strongly fortified behind its city wall, it was able to resist to the Goths and to the Avars invasions. It was ruled by the Romans, later, in the early Middle Ages by Byzance, later again by Croatian kings, by Hungarian kings and after 1420 and until 1797, like most of the Dalmatian coast, Trogir became a part of the Republic of Venice. Many landmarks in Trogir are still known under their Venetian (=Italian) name as well as under their Croatian name.
Trogir is on the Unesco World Heritage list of sites.
Map of the old city of Trogir borrowed from1976 Nagel guide "Yougoslavie" (in French). Transcription of the legend :
1- Sveti Lovre (San Lorenzo) : Saint Lawrence
2- Palazzo Cipico (Ċipiko) : Cipiko Palace
3- Pošta : Post Office
4- Hotel Radovan
5- Palazzo del Comune : City Hall
6- Sveti Barbara : Church Saint Barbara
7- Sveti Jovan : Saint John
8- Muzej : Museum
9-Sveti Nikola : Saint Nicholas
10- Sveti Duje : Saint Dominic
11- Kamerlengo : Kamerlengo
12- Gospa od Karmine : Church
13- Sveti Petar : Saint Peter
14- Loggia : Loggia
I collect photos of "Warning, School" road signs in every country. Of course, that is especially interesting when these... more travel advice
We had an excellent juha riblja (fish soup), dalmatinski prsut (Dalmatian ham), muckalica (photo), lignje na zaru... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Trogir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trogir, an island from the Middle Ages"
- "Trogir - the gem of Adriatic"
- "Trogir, Croatia"
- "A Town for Strolling the Promenade"
- "Paradise in little"
- "Trogir - the UNESCO world heritage museum town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trogir
- Hotels in Trogir
- Transportation in Trogir
- Nightlife in Trogir
- Restaurants in Trogir
- Shopping in Trogir
- Warnings and Dangers in Trogir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trogir
- 35 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Trogir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trogir
Photos in TrogirSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos