"Počitelj, a village that deserves a visit" Pocitelj by JLBG
Pocitelj Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 55 photos
Počitelj a small city in the south western part of Bosmia Herzegovina lies on a hillside that makes a kind of amphitheater and overhangs the Neretva river. It is on the road from Mostar to the Adriatic coast.
It has a long history and was first mentioned in 1444. Its special Ottoman architecture makes it a jewel and has been inscribed in 2007 on the Unesco World Heritage Tentative List.
It was inhabited by a mixed community, mainly Moslem and suffered extensive damages during the 1992-96 wars. It has now been almost entirely rebuilt in its previous condition.
We had a long journey scheduled and had no time to walk into the city for a visit. It obviously deserves a detailed visit and we plan to visit it thoroughly on the occasion of another travel in the area. Its architectural interest almost matches the old city of Mostar.
The origin of the name is unclear but might partly come from the Italian “cittadella” (for –čitelj). It would then be “the place with a citadel”
The Neretva is a 225 km river flowing out of the Dinaric Alps, mostly in Herzegovina and ending as a delta in Croatia.... more travel advice
The Sahat Kula was built at the end of the XVIIth. It is a fine example of clock-towers found in Bosmia-Herzegovina. The... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Pocitelj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Počitelj, a village that deserves a visit"
- "Forgotten Hilltown of Herzegovina"
- "Bosnian Sidi Bou said"
- "A quick stop"
- "Pocitelj u novom ruhu"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pocitelj
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Pocitelj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pocitelj
Photos in PociteljSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos