"Why Cartagena ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Cartagena by JLBG
Cartagena Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 453 photos
Between the highly touristic provinces of Andalusia (Sevilla, Cordoba, Granada, Cadiz, Marbella, Malaga, etc…) and of Valencia (Valencia, Alicante, Elche, Benidorm […!], the province of Murcia is very quiet and neither Murcia nor Cartagena figure among the main touristic spots of Spain.
What about Cartagena ? If you are looking for a place where you will find mostly people like you, speaking your own language, don't go there but go to Benidorm for example. In Cartagena, you will meet spaniards, living spanish. It's up to you !
Cartagena, as you can guess, was created by the Carthaginian. It was founded by Asdrúbal Janto 223 b.c. and soon became a flourishing port, the chief Carthaginian base in Spain. Captured (209 b.c.) by Scipio Africanus Major, the city and the port continued to flourish under the Romans as Carthago Nova. It has been for centuries one of the main naval bases of Spain as it has a secure natural harbor, protected by forts, with a naval arsenal and important shipbuilding and metallurgical industries. It has been for the last hundred years an industrial town : lead, iron, and zinc are mined and processed nearby, but the rich silver mines exploited in ancient times by Carthaginians and Romans are now almost exhausted. It was a wealthy town and there remains luxurious mansions with typical bow-windows, not often found in Spain. In the past 20 years, a large part of the old insalubrious city center has been restored. It is now a very pleasant city to live in and to visit.
The FKK El Portus camping is in a small valley, 10 km south to Cartagena. The camping itself is at the bottom of the... more travel advice
The ancient cathedral, Santa Maria la vieja (Saint Mary the older). On this picture, the walls of the choir are shawn.... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Cartagena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Why Cartagena ?"
- "From Qart Hadast to Cartagena"
- "The area feels more like home every visit"
- "Cartagena, Spain"
- "El Portus"
- "Carthage /Cartagena)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cartagena
- Hotels in Cartagena
- Transportation in Cartagena
- Nightlife in Cartagena
- Restaurants in Cartagena
- Shopping in Cartagena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cartagena
- 21 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Cartagena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cartagena
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos