"Asti spumante !" Top 5 Page for this destination Asti by JLBG
Asti Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 125 photos
In Piemont, Asti, a city of 78,000 inhabitants, 35 km south east to Turin, is the capital of the province that bears its name. It is a main grape cultivation and wine center. Actually, the name of Asti calls immediately for "Asti spumante" the sparkling Muscat sweet wine produced in the province.
Asti is also known for its "Palio", on the third Sunday of September. It is the oldest Palio in Italy, though it is not so well known than the one in Sienne. The tradition began in the 13th century. It begins in the morning by a procession of more than a thousand citizens, holding flags of each district of the city, all clad in medieval costumes that they keep and improve year after year. In the afternoon, the most interesting part is the "Palio" itself, ie a bareback horse race of heralds representing each of the 21 districts. For each of the qualification rounds, there are 7 contenders per district and 9 for the final race. The winner district will keep for one year the "palio", a velvet sheet bearing the coat of arms of the city.
The band was mostly brass but there were two drum players (first photo). The band was altogether about thirty musicians... more travel advice
On Corso Vittorio Alfieri, there was a hot air balloon show. At first, we thought they were going to leave as they had... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Asti Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tra Langhe e Monferrato"
- "Asti spumante !"
- "Asti - Small Town, Big Towers"
- "Our visit to Asti"
- "Asti, IT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Asti
- Hotels in Asti
- Transportation in Asti
- Nightlife in Asti
- Restaurants in Asti
- Shopping in Asti
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Asti
- 18 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Asti?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Asti
Photos in AstiSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos