"Sacra di San Michele" Avigliana by JLBG

Avigliana Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 70 photos

Each time I drove the Susa valley, I was impressed by what looked like a stronghold standing on top of a mountain. It overhangs the Susa valley and appears as soon as you leave Turin. As much you get closer and closer, it gets more impressive. I thought that, given its strategic situation, it had to be a fort commanding the passage between Italy and France. I did some research and found that it was named Sacra di San Michele.

I felt that we should visit it when we would not be hurrying to the Adriatic or hurrying back home. We finally did it in October 2007.

• Last visit to Avigliana: Oct 2007
  • Intro Written Feb 13, 2008

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Absolutely lovely Avigliana travel page with excellent photographs and great travel tips. Sacra di San Michele certainly looks amazing from your images, and so are the sanctuary and the ruins of Romanesque church. Thanks for the virtual tour. ~ho & pang

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 1:55 PM

I started to climb up to la Sacra but my mate was feeling bad and we had to leave...i missed a great thing! Dont think i will go back to Piemonte (too many times...) but hopefully ill visit Mount Saint Michel next year ;-) Thanks for sharing, JL!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 4:56 PM

Well, you certainly satisfied your curiosity about what was at the top of the hill. I really like the monk and those columns.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Loved all the little details of the monastery through your wonderful pictures & descriptions :) Jumping twice seems like a bad idea but a return visit to see the cute castle close up a good one

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 11:16 AM

It was very interesting to learn about another (in Italy this time) St Michel’s sanctuary after reading your Skellig Michael. Probably there is a magnificent link between them as a straight line on a map. Next stop - on Mont Saint Michel!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2008 at 11:36 PM

Wow, I can really imagine why Eco had this monastery in mind when he wrote Name of the Rose :-)) It looks .. hm.. mysterious! Thanks for describing :-)) I'll link it to my Eberbach Monastery one :-))

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Avigliana

Have you been to Avigliana?

Latest Activity in Avigliana